Menorah candle cups

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

Menorah candle cups

Post by smallbitz »

I searched the old posts, and it seems Weiss is the best place to get menorah candle cups. What I'm not sure about is the best way to attach them to the menorah...I saw one recent post that mentioned forcing a threaded rod through the hole at the bottom of the cup, but I have no idea where to get a threaded rod - suggestions. If I go that route, do I drill a hole in the menorah to accept the thread? Hmm. I guess my questions are:

1. Is Weiss the best place to get menorah candle cups?

2. How do I go about making them threaded (or do I need to)?

3. Where do I get the threaded rod?

As always, thanks!!
SB
Cheryl

Re: Menorah candle cups

Post by Cheryl »

1. get the cups first. Weiss is a good source. There aren't that many that I've found.

2. THEN figure out how to attach. Without the cups, you won't know if they've got a hole or not. Threaded rods are just screws without tops. You can buy them at Home Depot in the bin with the long metal stuff. Sometimes they're called all thread. If you do that you'll have to cut them to size with a cut-off wheel on a dremel (or a miter saw would be better). Or you can glue them. Lots on the archives on metal to glass glue.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
smallbitz

Re: Menorah candle cups

Post by smallbitz »

Cheryl,
Thanks. I know exactly what you mean by the threaded rods (now!). I think I was having a brain fart. I do have some great glass to metal glue that I used for a kitchen hardware to glass commission. It was an epoxy of some sort, I think Devcon. It worked great! I'll order the cups from Weiss.