New Spectrum Papyros Kiln Shelf Paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Crowneglass

New Spectrum Papyros Kiln Shelf Paper

Post by Crowneglass »

Has any one tried Spectrum's new ceramic shelf paper. I am firing on it for the first time today and I will post my findings tomorrow.
AndyT

Re: New Spectrum Papyros Kiln Shelf Paper

Post by AndyT »

Crowneglass wrote:Has any one tried Spectrum's new ceramic shelf paper. I am firing on it for the first time today and I will post my findings tomorrow.
Never heard of it. got a link?
Crowneglass

Post by Crowneglass »

Here is a link. www.system96.com/PAPYROS
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

The link says it's under construction...so we'll have to wait for your report!
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Crowneglass

Post by Crowneglass »

I started with a full sheet 20.5" x 20.5" on a 20" shelf. I had three test projects, all 2 layers of 1/8" glass. Test project #1 was 2 layers of BE transparent. Test project #2 was two layers of Wissmach 90 transparent. Test project #3 was two layers of Spectrum 96 opal. The schedule was 500 to 1490 hold 10 min/ 9999 to 960 hold 1hr/ 150 to 750 off.
The paper stuck to the back of the opals but the transparents lifted off easily without any damage. Even with a torn section, the rest of the sheet stayed intact. You could definately get more firings out of this using transparents. After firing, the paper does not break down to powder. I scouped up the whole sheet and disposed of it without a cloud of ceramic fiber billowing up. Next week I'll see how many full fuse firings I can get out of this stuff.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Crowneglass wrote:I started with a full sheet 20.5" x 20.5" on a 20" shelf. I had three test projects, all 2 layers of 1/8" glass. Test project #1 was 2 layers of BE transparent. Test project #2 was two layers of Wissmach 90 transparent. Test project #3 was two layers of Spectrum 96 opal. The schedule was 500 to 1490 hold 10 min/ 9999 to 960 hold 1hr/ 150 to 750 off.
The paper stuck to the back of the opals but the transparents lifted off easily without any damage. Even with a torn section, the rest of the sheet stayed intact. You could definately get more firings out of this using transparents. After firing, the paper does not break down to powder. I scouped up the whole sheet and disposed of it without a cloud of ceramic fiber billowing up. Next week I'll see how many full fuse firings I can get out of this stuff.
Where'd ya get it from?
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Crowneglass wrote: The paper stuck to the back of the opals but the transparents lifted off easily without any damage. Even with a torn section, the rest of the sheet stayed intact. You could definately get more firings out of this using transparents. After firing, the paper does not break down to powder. I scouped up the whole sheet and disposed of it without a cloud of ceramic fiber billowing up. Next week I'll see how many full fuse firings I can get out of this stuff.
How's the finish on the back, compared to Bullseye Thinfire?

I've always been hesitant to reuse my Thinfire, even when it appears to remain intact. I worry that I'll disturb it when putting the new piece of glass on the shelf and end up with glass sticking.

Dana W.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

JestersBaubles wrote: I've always been hesitant to reuse my Thinfire, even when it appears to remain intact. I worry that I'll disturb it when putting the new piece of glass on the shelf and end up with glass sticking.

Dana W.
When I was using Thinfire on a regular basis, I could easily get two, and sometimes three firings without replacing it. It helps to remove your glass when it's cold because it doesn't stick or disturb the TF. If you remove your glass while it's warm, I've had it mess up the TF. I've only used TF on a kiln-washed shelf.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I'll be interested to try it. I buy my supplies from D&L, and I received an email today that they have it available for order August 1.

Dana W.
kholtkamp@fuse.net

Post by kholtkamp@fuse.net »

The System 96 site seems to include everything but the price. Is the price comparable to Thinfire?
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

kholtkamp@fuse.net wrote:The System 96 site seems to include everything but the price. Is the price comparable to Thinfire?
the 96 is slightly higher than thinfire.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Crowneglass or others who may have worked with Spectrum's new shelf paper... any comments good or bad? Problems with hazing, curling, etc?

I'm down to my last sheets of Thinfire, and I'm thinking of going with the Papyros. I like the idea of less mess during cleanup. However, I'd hate to invest a few hundred dollars in a roll and then find it causes problems (I have had great luck with Bullseye Thinfire, but it's messier than I would prefer).

Dana W.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Tested it for local wholesaler....Don't like it!! sticks to opals....rougher texture than thinfire...not impressed....will not be a substitute to thinfire for me. I'd pay double for "Thinfire" if necessary.
My 2 cents.
"The Glassman"
pshash

Post by pshash »

I just received an email from anything in stained glass and they carry it.
vblue

Post by vblue »

A & A Products carries both.
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

I've been using it and love it. Doing jewelry, so maybe smaller pieces than some of you but I have not experienced any sticking to opals or otherwise. I got 5 firings out of the last sheet I laid down. I will be buying more. I also like the fact that there is not a could of dust after the firing, just a sheet of intact paper to throw away (or use again)

Carol