Copper inclusions with float glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Courtney Branch

Copper inclusions with float glass

Post by Courtney Branch »

I've been firing 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares with 3" sq. copper foil inclusions allowing a 1/4" border on all sides. They are coming out dark blue with grey ash highlites. I have scrubbed the copper foil with steelwool and acetone followed by soap and water. Iv'e faced the tin side out, and sprayed both the foil and the glass with Super Spray or borax solution. I'm running out of copper and patience. Iv'e followed a fusing schedule w/ 7 stages and top temp of 1550 and I still can't get the copper or red colors I want. Do you have any suggestions or a schedule that will get the desired reults?
JestersBaubles

Re: Copper inclusions with float glass

Post by JestersBaubles »

Courtney Branch wrote:I've been firing 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares with 3" sq. copper foil inclusions allowing a 1/4" border on all sides. They are coming out dark blue with grey ash highlites. I have scrubbed the copper foil with steelwool and acetone followed by soap and water. Iv'e faced the tin side out, and sprayed both the foil and the glass with Super Spray or borax solution. I'm running out of copper and patience. Iv'e followed a fusing schedule w/ 7 stages and top temp of 1550 and I still can't get the copper or red colors I want. Do you have any suggestions or a schedule that will get the desired reults?
I haven't worked much with copper, but it's my understanding that the color is somewhat luck of the draw. (though I could be wrong :mrgreen: )

Dana W.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

If you coat the foil with borax solution, it will stay copper colored. 20 Mule Team Borax and water. A drop of dish soap will help.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

@Bert:

OP said they had used a borax solution. Is there any special mixture or application technique for the solution that will encourage the red/copper color?
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
B.J.

Post by B.J. »