buying a stand alone controller

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

seachange

Re: buying a stand alone controller

Post by seachange »

Brock wrote:For me, it's always been about the food, not the oven . . .
Hi Brock

Nice way to put it :D

I learned with a kiln with a manual switch, do think it is a good way to start. Then had a little basic Fuji till it died.

But then got more ambitious in my projects, the firings get longer, the glass thicker...and I don't particularly care about staying up at night or getting up at 2am to move a switch.

The controller is not improving the design (wish it did) but I think because of the careful ramp up and annealing cycles that can be programmed in, it improves the quality (as in durability). Still have to test, to observe the glass, still have failures. But it does make it easier and is more relaxing.

My cooking stove does not have a timer, I do burn the rice quite often :wink:

Glad you are still participating, I enjoyed your workshop immensely.

Best regards, seachange
seachange

Post by seachange »

Since this thread started, kept thinking about other features. Do remember that it took me ages and a lot of reading to decide which controller to get. Sometimes even if the manuals are online is not that easy, in my case I didn't have enough experience to sort out which features were essential, which were nice extras to have.

One really nice feature is the Delay Fire. Can program the kiln to start let's say at 11 at night, so when I get up it is at the point where I need to check it. This is really useful for long firings.

When I bought the controller was only doing small pieces, short firings, so never thought of this being helpful.

Had a couple of queries in the beginning (messed up some settings) and found Bartlett in the US very responsive, they emailed me straight away and with very comprehensive replies.

Good luck with your choice, seachange
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

I have an Orton full keypad controller and it is fabulous. I also have the 3 button one on my Caldera...and I hate it. It is such a waste of time scrolling up and down to get to your numbers, because I am always adjusting schedules, BLECH.
I am planning on getting another full keypad for my newest kiln...and am not looking past Orton. However I am a hobbyist and am only firing my kilns 3-4 times a week. I was considering getting a standalone controller to save my relays however it won't be necessary with this new kiln, it won't be attached to the side of a hot kiln.
PhxFreddy

Post by PhxFreddy »

Looking for anyone with a working KISS installation to allow me to look at the communication protocol between computer and kiln controller. Want to write my own software.
PhxFreddy

Post by PhxFreddy »

Looking for anyone with a working KISS installation to allow me to look at the communication protocol between computer and kiln controller. Want to write my own software.