'OTHER' MEANS OF POLISHING GLASS

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

'OTHER' MEANS OF POLISHING GLASS

Post by Havi »

Hi all,
I really hope you are not suffocating in the heat we are experiencing here. Just praying that summer will be over. Gets worse from one year to the other :evil:

I know that I can polish glass either by
fire polishing [ to whatever dgree of polishing I want the shine to be]
or
by grinding and polishing, with various grits and then, pumice and / or cerium oxide.

BUT
additionally,

I hear about other ways too, and I would like you to confirm them - if you work this way. So please, anybody who works like this, please chime in, and we shall all learn from your experience.

1. By using HXTALL - yes, the glue. I heard it can be used as a polishing finish, it needs to be applied, probabely after the glass had been grinded. Anybody heard about it? works like this?

2. BY applying 'invisible sealer' on the glass - again, after it had been cleaned, or maybe sandblasted. Yeilds kind of satin finish.

3. By applying 'Clean Sheild shower and tile protectant'. Does it work on big surfaces? Does it clear also devitrification??
Is there any substance that CAN clear devit - or I MUST grind the the devit [if I do not want to re-fire]

Has anybody used any of this methods?
Have you heard about them?
Does this polishing last like the other methods I mentioned at the top of my question???

Have you got any additional trick that you might like to share?

I'd be so very grateful for any and every response, and guidance

And thank you in advance.

Havi
Last edited by Havi on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Valerie Adams

Re: 'OTHER' MEANS OF POLISHING GLASS

Post by Valerie Adams »

Paul's book is a good reference:
http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/Coldw ... CEoUI7R2-I

On some thick pieces I had that couldn't go back in the kiln, I worked my way up to a 3000 grit with wet/dry sandpaper and lots (and lots!) of elbow grease.
Jeff Wright

Post by Jeff Wright »

Hi Havi,

I use the "Clean Shield" approach - but this is only for sandblasted finishes - it really does make a difference. I've polished several large pieces both flat and rounded this way. I love the satiny finish it leaves. It is a little hard to come by - I posted about it on my blog a couple of years ago. I just took an old vase I had lying around and sandblasted a border pattern on it. I applied the Clean Shield and love the look. It definitely keeps the fingerprints down. It DOES NOT work on devit - you have to mechanically get rid of it - or embrace that look!

Another approach is not to fully polish to high gloss. I'm seeing a lot of pieces that are a satin finish that I really like.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Dear Jeff,
Believe it or not, I read about your method in Morganica's blog - linked thru her to yours, called the company in USA, and had them ship me 3 tubes of this clear sheild. Crazy, but true. [the shipment cost me much more than the tubes... :lol: ]

Thanks for the detailed info. I also like the satin finish, sometimes it comes out really nice, much nicer than complete shine.

Unfortunately I do not have a sandblaster, so this is a problem. There is no room for one in my studio. Yet, by polishing, I assume I can get to something similar.

I am very greatful for your response and sharing, and hope others will chime in too.
Let's see what we can learn,

many cheers,
Havi
Haviva Z

Jeff Wright

Post by Jeff Wright »

Havi wrote:the shipment cost me much more than the tubes... :lol: Havi
Yes, that was my experience here in the U.S. as well. 3 tubes might be a lifetime supply.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Jeff,
Can you please post the link to your blog, [where you mentined this staff]
so that I wo'nt have to search for it and just keep it with me???

I'd be more than grateful!

Havi
Haviva Z

Jeff Wright

Post by Jeff Wright »

Havi wrote:Jeff,
Can you please post the link to your blog, [where you mentined this staff]
so that I wo'nt have to search for it and just keep it with me???

I'd be more than grateful!

Havi
It's actually in my signature right below my posts

|
|
|
V
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Jeff, thanks .. Mine came last week. They have free shipping if you buy 50.00 worth so I bought other products along with 4 tubes. I gave 1 away.

st
peruvianwonderwoman

Post by peruvianwonderwoman »

The "clear shield" , any brand recommended? Where can I buy it? any hardware store?
Thanks
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Of all the Clear Shield products which one do you use?

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Jeff Wright

Post by Jeff Wright »

I guess I posted this and the link before we lost the archives - what a loss.

Anyway, no shameless plug but here is all the details on my blog.

I use the " Clean Shield® GEL - Shower, Tub & Tile Protectant".

I've never found it locally, but you can get it from their website. As Havi stated, the shipping was more than a couple of tubes for the product itself.
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

No-one has yet asked the question of professional pride and honesty.
My spectacles have plastic lenses, but I can't imagine me making plastic glass art. Even partly. In some works I use glue for sure. Then I make it look like glued.

To put a laquer on a matte surface? Not for me. If I can't polish I leave it matte.
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Lauri Levanto wrote:No-one has yet asked the question of professional pride and honesty.
My spectacles have plastic lenses, but I can't imagine me making plastic glass art. Even partly. In some works I use glue for sure. Then I make it look like glued.

To put a laquer on a matte surface? Not for me. If I can't polish I leave it matte.
All products should be signed by the artist. Will the artist be proud of the item once the polish, glue or finish product wear off especially if sold to someone who believes the look is forever?
Jerry