kilns and storms--power surges?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nina Falk

kilns and storms--power surges?

Post by Nina Falk »

Has anyone else had kiln problems during or after the recent east coast storms? people helping me are suggesting that it may be due to power surges or unstable power to the kiln. It isn't fixed yet, but I'd like to know what other peoples' experiences are. One suggestion is to install a regulator. One kiln is working, the other is not.
Bert Weiss

Re: kilns and storms--power surges?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Kiln controllers are electronic devices, so are susceptible to the same issues as computers, telephones etc. The elements, on the other hand are probably OK. The worst case there would be a thrown breaker, but it would have to be a pretty big event to make that happen.

However, thinking about it, over the past 2+ decades, I have lost a couple of motherboards on computers, but I never had a kiln controller failure caused by a power surge. My same controller has been hard wired to the panel 24/7/365, since 1990.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

After a power surge turned on my Evenheat kiln when I was gone, I've stopped leaving it plugged in. Another time, a surge caused it to lose the Seg 0 info which stops it. It ran away to about 1700 degrees before I unplugged it. It has an old Rampmaster controller. Newer kiln from Skutt is supposed to have 2 relays and not do this.
Then there was the really strange event when I forgot to unplug it. The electric company had a monitor on my meter and was finding that there was a 40 amp power draw about once an hour. I had the kiln plugged in, not running any program, and it was turning on for a minute or two every so often. Pretty scary.
We live in rural western CO with not very reliable power. Storms and cows and tree limbs all seem to cause problems. Honest, cows lean against the power poles and cause disruptions.
Take care.
Dawn
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Most kiln controlers have a small fuse. Check to see if it has blown.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I leave my big Skutt plugged in, but the breaker switched off. It is the only thing on the breaker. The big plug/unwieldy cord was such a bear to plug/unplug (and the controller on the Skutt appears to have no "off" switch like my Paragon kilns) that the electrician suggested I leave it plugged in, but the breaker off. Works for me... so far (kiln's only a few months old). The other two Paragons I leave plugged in all the time, but probably shouldn't...

Dana W.
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

I still don't understand why it is possible to sell kilns without simple safety devices to keep the kilns over firing or turning off when the lid/door is opened. These are simple devices and can be retrofitted.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

The power company was just here...they are installing some meters to see if the power is fluctuating as widely as my electrician says it is. They replaced a wire from the house to the pole. I am replacing the main relay in one of my kilns. AND looking into surge protectors for both kilns. Phew. that should do it. Just can't fire for a while til this is all sorted out. Yes, Stephen, I wish the kiln came with such a protection. Maybe future kilns will.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Stephen Richard wrote:I still don't understand why it is possible to sell kilns without simple safety devices to keep the kilns over firing or turning off when the lid/door is opened. These are simple devices and can be retrofitted.
The Glassmaster controller on my Skutt will turn off the kiln if it detects it is overfired -- basically if the temp increases more than... 50 deg f, I think... on a cool-down.

The very first time I fired the kiln, it did this. I called Skutt and they sent out new relays. Haven't had a problem since.

Dana
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

JestersBaubles wrote:
Stephen Richard wrote:I still don't understand why it is possible to sell kilns without simple safety devices to keep the kilns over firing or turning off when the lid/door is opened. These are simple devices and can be retrofitted.
The Glassmaster controller on my Skutt will turn off the kiln if it detects it is overfired -- basically if the temp increases more than... 50 deg f, I think... on a cool-down.

The very first time I fired the kiln, it did this. I called Skutt and they sent out new relays. Haven't had a problem since.

Dana
The average mechanical relay has 100,000 clicks. They most often fail stuck closed. The controller has no way to turn the power off when the relay sticks closed. There are a few strategies for preventing run aways. Eventually it will happen to you again...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Bert Weiss wrote:

Dana
The average mechanical relay has 100,000 clicks. They most often fail stuck closed. The controller has no way to turn the power off when the relay sticks closed. There are a few strategies for preventing run aways. Eventually it will happen to you again...[/quote]

Not disputing that -- that's way I won't leave home when my kiln's running.

Dana