fused glass with "lollipop" support - how?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

LisaDC

fused glass with "lollipop" support - how?

Post by LisaDC »

Hello,
I'm making some fused glass pieces that will be on aluminum stick supports. It will look something like a lollipop when finished (but much bigger of course).
Thus, when fusing, I must leave a space for the aluminum stick to be inserted and glued. The challenge is getting this space within the fused glass - I would love to hear from someone that has already done this how it best can be done.
I've done 4 trials so far... and so far... eeeck.
Thanks in advance for your responses!
cheers,
Lisa
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: fused glass with "lollipop" support - how?

Post by Brad Walker »

You don't give many details of exactly what you're trying to do, but I assume you're fusing two layers together. Simply place a small strip of fiber paper between the two during the fuse firing. When done, remove the fiber paper and a hold will remain.

If that hole is not large enough or if you don't like the humps it creates, fuse three layers of glass, two full and the middle one with a cut out the size of the fiber paper you want to use. That will eliminate the hump and allow for wider strips of fiber paper.
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

If you need a larger hole you could use "refractory fiber rope" that has been soaked with kiln wash & completely dried to facilitate removal.
Mark Hughes
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

You can also wrap a steel rod - of the diameter of the aluminium rod - with a couple of turns of thinfire, glue the end to the other layer and place ( with ca 1-2cm of thinfire extending out of the glass layers). This will allow the steel to be removed and the hollow washed out.
Unfortunately, the aluminium will not withstand the heat of fusing.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/