best glass bandsaw

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Greg Hall

best glass bandsaw

Post by Greg Hall »

I searched this forum for "best glass bandsaws" and didn't find much. Can anyone recommend a good one? I will be using it to cut from 5/8" to 1" thick glass. In my research I found three that seem possible. Diamond Laser 3000 XL got mostly favorable reviews for ease of cutting. Cons were noise, water sprays all over, uneven plastic table, flimsy construction. Cost $428.39. Denver Glass has the GS-100 and GS-60. Couldn't find reviews of either. Cost $2300 and $1250 respectively. The GS-100 looks heavy duty but it's more than I want to spend. Has anyone used the GS-60?
Bert Weiss

Re: best glass bandsaw

Post by Bert Weiss »

In my opinon, by far, the best alternative is a waterjet machine. Save your tool money and hire a waterjet when you need it.

I have a Gryphon bandsaw/paperweight sitting on a shelf taking up otherwise valuable space.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I do not know how well it handles thick glass
but the German Proxxon brand
http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/27172.php
looks well built and has diamond band plus water feed.
For precice cutting of thin glass it is excellent.
very narrow kerf permits cutting both sides if a figure line in one run.

Unfortunately I do not have one, but I've seen it used.
-lauri
Marian

Post by Marian »

You want to cut some really thick glass- how about a tile saw? Bandsaws for glass are good for 1/4 inch, maybe.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Rick Wilton
ejgiebel

Post by ejgiebel »

I have a Revolution XT, love it. It runs through thin and thick pieces (I've cut sheet glass to 1", including slices off that were 1/8" from a 1" thick slab), has a thin blad (slightly more than 1mm), and if you go slow, it won't break out at the end of the cut. And as the brochures say, you can cut indoors without getting water everywhere. It takes some practice to get the right amount of water in the tank (too much and you do get a lot of water on the table, which will make it's way to the floor), so follow the recommended measurement (I think 3 gallons) until you get a feel for the right amount for you.

Ed