Frit Maker

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Faye Malench

Frit Maker

Post by Faye Malench »

Does anyone have experience with this tool? http://www.bluefiremolds.com/frit-maker/Glass-Eater.php

I find myself wasting a lot of time lately making small batches of quenched and fritted glass. Could use a shortcut.
Laurie Spray

Re: Frit Maker

Post by Laurie Spray »

After using "frit smashers" of different makes and sizes I have found that I like best the thick clear plastic that full sheets of dichro come in and a good old hammer. Quickly thru a screen system to get off the dust and good to go......
Never seen this system before......
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Faye Malench wrote:Does anyone have experience with this tool? http://www.bluefiremolds.com/frit-maker/Glass-Eater.php

I find myself wasting a lot of time lately making small batches of quenched and fritted glass. Could use a shortcut.
The best frit maker I've used so far is a 1X8 inch piece of galvanized pipe with a cap at one end; a long bolt (either end, round or flat head works) is inserted into the pipe after adding glass and the bolt hit with a hammer. Very, very cheap. I think the plunger style of the 'fancy' frit-maker would become very tiring.

I do have a larger frit maker that has a flat surface on the plunger and I'm planning to have channels cut into that flat surface to improve efficiency. Again I use a hammer (5 lbs) to provide breakage of the glass and not the heavy plumper.

Also, be aware of the powder generated by these devices and protect your lungs or prevent the powder from becoming free in the air. And, the best way to remove metal from the frit/powder is to use a magnet in a plastic bag so that the metal can be easily cleaned from the surface of the bag; this is why I use galvanized rather than stainless steel (besides the expense) so that the magnet will attract the galvanized steel as I understand the stainless steel is virtually non-ferrous.
Jerry
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Galvanized pipe has been coated with zinc. Zinc is not magnetic so will stay in your frit. I have found that the minute particles of zinc produce ugly brown bubbles when the frit is taken to full fuse. I switched to plain steel for my crusher.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

garbage disposal works for me. Depends on the size of the frit you want, and you do have to wash it but it's a heck of a lot faster than the quench method.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

Cheryl, thanks for reminder. I saved a garbage disposal when I remodeled the kitchen. Have no clue how to set it up though other that it involves a bucket to catch... duh! So I can splice a cord using the wires dangling off the original unit to plug it in the wall.
How do you prevent contamination between colors?
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I use an Oasis machine, the type they use in bars to make frozen drinks. I vacuum out the bucket after every use. Make sure you are wearing a mask when using a disposal.
Bob
LDGlass

Post by LDGlass »

I have the Glass Eater and so far have had good luck with it.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Here are some instructions. Haven't done this so no idea how well it will work...

https://sites.google.com/site/2glassybr ... s-mistakes
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

Looks like I have all those products on-hand, Cynthia. Will give it a whirl - so to speak. Thanks
Marian

Post by Marian »

I used one for a while that was hooked to a water hose so the ground glass washed into a big settling bowl. There isn't a cloud of dust because of the water. You can dry the frit in the kiln. It worked fairly well for at least 100 pounds of glass before the blades wore down. There is a lot of that metal in the frit, so cleaning up with a magnet was tedious. Also the interior chamber will be scoured from the glass and end up in your frit as well.
Dairy Queen

Post by Dairy Queen »

Laurie Spray wrote:After using "frit smashers" of different makes and sizes I have found that I like best the thick clear plastic that full sheets of dichro come in and a good old hammer. Quickly thru a screen system to get off the dust and good to go......
Never seen this system before......
What Laurie said, plus, I cut the bag open (don't shake) and let the pieces roll into separating screens, stacked inside of a bucket to control dust. My screens are food and vegetable colanders/baskets, which stack easily in the bucket. I used to add the bucket's lid and shake, but the dust never settled. I now use a hose to wash the glass through the screens. The screen/baskets can be lifted out, hosed off for fines, then leave glass in basket, or spread on a surface to dry. Plastic baskets/screens do not leave metal dust on glass frit. This method is not able to capture the finest particles of glass, which I end up pouring out with the water. Hose out the bucket and change colors.

For fine glass powder, I prefer to purchase from the factory, for safety's sake.
Love and luck make a wonderful lifestyle.