LIQUID GLASS................CMC.............Alternatives

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jane E.

Re: LIQUID GLASS................CMC.............Alternatives

Post by Jane E. »

I used the CMC powder mixed into boiling water, then cooled, and then mixed with frit powder. This was piped on the glass using a cake decorator. It worked very well- much better than klyr fire. I liked it because it stayed on the glass after it dried. Other ingredients can slide, crack off or crumble upon drying. The CMC had total adhesion on the glass when dry, and I even used a semi-stiff artist brush to brush some errant adjacent colored powder off of it. It dries hard as a rock. When cleaning up I think it is probably a great idea to use a hose outside for the pans, cake decorator tips and bags. It seems to me that the CMC glop could do some real mischief with plumbing pipes.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Jane E. wrote:I used the CMC powder mixed into boiling water, then cooled, and then mixed with frit powder. This was piped on the glass using a cake decorator. It worked very well- much better than klyr fire. I liked it because it stayed on the glass after it dried. Other ingredients can slide, crack off or crumble upon drying. The CMC had total adhesion on the glass when dry, and I even used a semi-stiff artist brush to brush some errant adjacent colored powder off of it. It dries hard as a rock. When cleaning up I think it is probably a great idea to use a hose outside for the pans, cake decorator tips and bags. It seems to me that the CMC glop could do some real mischief with plumbing pipes.
I just schpritz the CMC glop into a flexible plastic container (like one of those throwaway tupperwarish tubs), let it dry out in the open, then flex it out and into the trash.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Maryar

Post by Maryar »

Has anyone mentioned Agar? I think that is what it is called, the seaweed?
There was a recipe for that with water on here quite awhile back.
Mary
AmySkewed

Post by AmySkewed »

Try Aloe from the drugstore. I find the clear variety works very well, and is very inexpensive.
Black Raven

Post by Black Raven »

Hi, I have used CMC and had great results, I ordered a pound of it in powder form and just mix a batch when I need it. Have any of you used Flexie Glass? I't a new product and I have had bubbles and cracking, not a fan, if you have had good results with it please let me know maybe I am doing something wrong! Thanks Cindy
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Maryar wrote:Has anyone mentioned Agar? I think that is what it is called, the seaweed?
There was a recipe for that with water on here quite awhile back.
Mary
I went to Whole Foods the other day to buy Agar Agar and found a tiny packet for $9. CMC is way better in that regard!
Alexis Dinno

Post by Alexis Dinno »

Valerie Adams wrote:I went to Whole Foods the other day to buy Agar Agar and found a tiny packet for $9. CMC is way better in that regard!
You can find the powder pretty cheap in the bulk sections of organic food coops.
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Black Raven wrote:Hi, I have used CMC and had great results, I ordered a pound of it in powder form and just mix a batch when I need it. Have any of you used Flexie Glass? I't a new product and I have had bubbles and cracking, not a fan, if you have had good results with it please let me know maybe I am doing something wrong! Thanks Cindy
Cindy: just had a class that included using Flexi-Glass and saw that it works only as advertised i.e. cut or tear for inclusions. The class examples had poor color saturation and were not as easily removed from the backing as ads indicate.

The one thing that I did like was that the medium absorbed frit/enamel rather than requiring being pre-mixed before application.

I haven't tried using enamel rather than frit myself as yet, but am hoping that will give better color saturation and will try using the medium directly on glass rather than the backing so it doesn't have to be moved and will cut/shape as needed on the glass.
Jerry
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Jerry,
As a sub for the Flexiglass, try any polyvinyl acetate or Poly-ox based glue such as Elmers, Alenes or Bordens. Mix with a little water to thin some. Use good quality wax paper or treated (for release) aluminum foil. Works quite well.

Barry
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Barry Kaiser wrote:Jerry,
As a sub for the Flexiglass, try any polyvinyl acetate or Poly-ox based glue such as Elmers, Alenes or Bordens. Mix with a little water to thin some. Use good quality wax paper or treated (for release) aluminum foil. Works quite well.

Barry
Thanks, Barry!
Jerry
Black Raven

Post by Black Raven »

Thanks Jerry, I wasn't crazy about the way it peeled off the backing either, I believe I have solved the problem by replacing the top piece of glass witha thick coating of clear frit to avoid what I believe to be out-gasing, I think I'll stick with CMC instead of flexi glass!
Thanks, Cindy
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

For quick demanding jobs I use
1. Model airplane glue (cellulose dissolved into acetone) or
2 nail polish (quite the same stuff, easier to apply but more expensive).
For slow drying thick CMC goo applied with a ketchup squeeze bottle

Medium working time 3M contact glue spray.

The latest experiments
3M archive tape works fine (Morganica's great idea)
3M double side tape between the pieces. If not near the edge tends to form bubbles.

Saran wrap does not keep well, but burns off clean.

-lauri