sticking picture tile on board with silicone

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

blaich

sticking picture tile on board with silicone

Post by blaich »

Hi

I would like to stick some glass tiles I have made onto painted "wood" board so they can be hung on a wall like a picture. From what I've read in previous postings on this forum, I'm hoping that I'm right in thinking that the best adhesive to use is clear silicone? Has anyone any tips on this please? Should I dot small beads of silicone around the underside; or squeeze a thin strip around the edge of the glass both of the underside and around the edge like grouting a tile? Or, put silicone on the whole of the underside?

Will silicone really hold the glass tile onto the board on a wall - I'm nervous!

Thanks for any help.
Brock

Re: sticking picture tile on board with silicone

Post by Brock »

To allow the Silicone to cure, dots or lines are better. Don't coat the entire substrate.
It would be best if the glue was applied to wood, not paint. Yes, it will easily hold the glass to the board
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

As Brock said, yes it will hold, but the silicone needs air to fully cure. If you apply it uniformly across the entire surface, the center will stay goopy and not hold. And if you apply silicone to paint, you'll be gluing your glass to the paint skin, not to the wood--if for any reason the paint peels, ooops. It's best to mask off the area that will hold the fastener/glass before you paint.

One other thing: Make sure you are using absolutely fresh silicone, well inside its "use by" date. From personal experience, silicone that's out of date or has been opened for awhile can fail pretty spectacularly.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
blaich

Post by blaich »

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate the help. I've been wanting to mount the pictures for a while now. I just wish I had asked the question before I had already painted the boards - all 8 of them! :!: Perhaps I can rough the paint up a bit under the tile area so the silicone grabs more of the board. :?:
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yeah, tape some lines and sandpaper in those areas.
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

At an art festival last week, a customer came over to tell me one of the glass wall tiles in my booth was crooked. Turns out ithe glass was slowly sliding off the back... & old silicone was the culprit. It was the last bit left in the tube & should have opened a fresh one. I left it for four days afterwards & it never did cure. I've never had a problem with fresh GE Silicone II, and I've used it a lot for wall pieces, some of them pretty heavy.