strenght of drilled holes for hanging

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lucho/lachezar/

strenght of drilled holes for hanging

Post by lucho/lachezar/ »

Hi!

I may get a commission for which I'm thinking to hang down 3 fused panels 7by2.5 feet each and 110-120pounds each. 12mm thick glass. If I hang them from 3 holes (on each), will the glass survive its own weight?

Thanks!

Lucho
Bert Weiss

Re: strenght of drilled holes for hanging

Post by Bert Weiss »

lucho/lachezar/ wrote:Hi!

I may get a commission for which I'm thinking to hang down 3 fused panels 7by2.5 feet each and 110-120pounds each. 12mm thick glass. If I hang them from 3 holes (on each), will the glass survive its own weight?

Thanks!

Lucho
Lucho, in architecture drilled holes are used in tempered (toughened) glass. Annealed glass is quite a bit more vulnerable to failure. I would suggest devising some sort of L bracket or edge grip standoff to support the glass.

Drilled holes with plastic liner sleeves will work as long as you don't over tighten, but I'd be nervous. You always want to grind a bevel on both sides of a drilled hole, to remove any weakness in the edges from drilling.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions