Vitrograph setup

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

S.TImmerman

Vitrograph setup

Post by S.TImmerman »

Looking though BE's tech notes I still have a few questions. I'm almost sure I read that someone posted using a metal sheet (what type, size and thickness?) under the kiln. I can't find the post any longer :/ what size hole should be cut out? My goal is to make rod bowls (like the seven i did out of 104 coe ) which were frustrating to say the least. With no experience in ths I would love to know the minimum height for the set up. Can I do this out of doors? Wih no threat of rain (of course) .
Where is the best place to buy the tools and which ones should I get.

Is it possible to protect my hands with different gloves! I dare say I'd have a difficult time picking up a softball in those huge Kevlar mittens,

I want to pull long straight cane.. Do I need to anneal it? After removing it can I set them down on thick SS ?

Thank you much

Karunia has a REALLY nice video on pulling cane :)
Sheree
bob proulx

Re: Vitrograph setup

Post by bob proulx »

I cant answer all your questions I have not done vitrograph but I do pull twisted cane in my torch, I was just doing some today. If the pieces are not to thick you can get away without annealing.
Bob
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Shereen-

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you what I do and how I do it.

First. I don't use sheet metal (and I don't really think anyone would.) I use cement backer board that they sell at home depot. It is basically some type of cement with what I assume is fiberglass mesh. You can cut it and score it, almost like sheetrock. And you can drill holes in it. I would not use metal if for no other reason, the metal is going to get amazingly hot whereas if you do it with some type of insulated board, your heat will stay in the kiln, and not radiate off the bottom.

Second. Annealing. As a rule of thumb, when we pull cane be it conventionally (hot shop) or with a suspended kiln (VG), the logic we use is anything over 1/4" always gets annealed. Anything under is usually okay. But you can never go wrong by annealing it.

Third. Tools. When we do it VG style, we do it with long pliers we buy at Harbor Freight. You don't need anything fancy. When we do it hot, we use glassblowing tweezers or more commonly two punties.

Fourth. Outside. You can certainly do it as long as there is nothing combustible around in case you drop anything. Other than that, it is common sense. On dirt, concrete, stone... The other thing you do need to take into consideration when out doors, is wind/breeze. If it is windy, you may have thermal shock problems. In addition, problems with the glass cooling faster than you can pull it. There is a bit of a balancing act between how hot the glass is and how fast you pull if you want even pulls.

Fifth. Gloves and protection. Again, use common sense. When we do it in a hot glass shop, we don't use gloves, only eye protection (although some people use kevlar sleeves if they have trouble taking gathers from the furnace.) When I do it here VG style either no gloves or cotton work gloves. Yes, you have to be very careful, but it isn't nearly as dangerous as it would seem. Plus you would be amazed at how fast glass loses it's heat when it is out in the open.

Sixth. Leaving it on SS. No. Chances are you are going to thermal shock it if it is hot. If you are not going to anneal it, put it between pieces of fiber blanket material. Sort of like what you see flameworkers do with beads on mandrels.

Going back to #5. I am not saying to be reckless. You have to respect the material, but you also can't fear it.

Also, if you plan on pulling cane to a consistent diameter plan on doing a lot of practicing...

Guy
KarunaS

Post by KarunaS »

Hi sheree,
You would only use the metal sheet if you run the vitrigraph at a higher temp to pull stringers and the glass is hot enough to pretty much flow by itself. To pull canes or murrini you work at lower temperatures and pull straight down to control thickness. When I cut off the canes, I rest them on two 4x4 wood posts till they are cool enough to handle. The canes are only about 7mm or less in thickness so thermal shocking is usually not an issue.
I have the vitrigraph set up in my carport...you definitely want concrete floor and space around the set up as some thicker pieces may thermal shock and blow up.
Hole in your pot is around 1".
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

use the shortest heaviest gague drop cord you have/can get. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Oh gosh, i really really appreciate all the help! I can't wait to try this! I've ordered the tools and am going to get an area clear to set this all up. Thank you so much!! I've been buying canes from a guy who pulls his own and just got my larger belt sander. I have't felt comfortable selling any of the bowls where he pulled the cane for me- as it's not 100% my work.

Have a great labor day!

Shereen
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

rosanna gusler wrote:use the shortest heaviest gague drop cord you have/can get. rosanna

Boy, do i feel dumb, what is a "drop cord"
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

extension cord
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Oh, duh. Thank you, for some reason I was thinking it was some sorta corded sheet.
Thanks fye,
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

If one fils the azalea pot full of glass, about how many canes can be pulled from one pot? I''ve got everything except the Be glass cutters.

Thanks much
judith

Post by judith »

You'll get a LOT of cane from one full (or almost full) pot.......but the number of canes is entirely dependent upon the thickness of the cane you are pulling.

We just hosted two workshops on VItrigraph Cane and Murinni with Nathan Sandberg, and had 5 vitrigraph kilns firing every day. Each pot each day produced an amazing amount of cane - from 3/8" thick to thread-thin.....it depends on the look you want.

You can see some of the finished murinni pieces on our FaceBook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vitrum-St ... 8109661680
A piece made with murinni canes
A piece made with murinni canes
judith
NEW Spring 2014 session of classes on line.......Nathan Sandberg, Richard Parrish, Martha Pfanschmidt and more!
http://www.vitrumstudio.com
http://www.judithconwayglass.com