how do i do this

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deerick

how do i do this

Post by deerick »

The artist used glass and flameworked stringers then fused. Can I use Glassline or glass enamel with A4? Also, Do I cap the bottom layer with clear and paint on top of the clear, will that make it a flat surface?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/103199546/d ... pe=gallery

I know this is probably so very simple, but that is why I like it. Thank you
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: how do i do this

Post by Brad Walker »

It is not a good idea, nor is it legal, to copy someone else's design. Better to come up with your own design.

It is possible to paint on a flat piece of glass with either Glassline or enamels mixed with a binder (A-14 is often used). You can paint on the top layer, the bottom layer, or both. Applied and fired properly, the enamels will be flat on the surface of the glass. Designs can also be fired flat when using stringers and frit; it's just a matter of how high they are fired in the kiln. But in either case, come up with your own design, and avoid copying someone else's design.
HEIDI in Wa. state

Post by HEIDI in Wa. state »

Brad Walker wrote:It is not a good idea, nor is it legal, to copy someone else's design. Better to come up with your own design.
Thanks Brad, it is not my design either, but, for some reason we need to remind people of this sometimes...
HEIDI --who is having someone copy her designs right now....
deerick

Post by deerick »

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows I was just looking for information on technique with no intention of copying the design. I actually have a frog from a coloring book:). Thanks
HEIDI in Wa. state

Post by HEIDI in Wa. state »

I didn't mean my comment to suggest you were going to copy, my statement was more a general one. Sorry if I offended you, I truly didn't mean too.
HEIDI
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

You can manipulate stringer with a candleflame and a couple pairs of tweezers or needle nose pliers, so you can do at least thinner lines without special equipment. Once the components get thicker you need a hotter torch or a vitragraph kiln setup.

Or you can cut flat glass a bit thicker than you want it, and give it a good flat fuse firing. It takes a little practice, but you can get a torch work effect with that, and the bottom is already flat, which makes it a bit easier to get to the kiln.

Then you just arrange the components and tack fuse them to the flat blank.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
deerick

Post by deerick »

No offense taken. And thank you for all your help. This board is so great in helping is newbies