Rocks

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy Fitzpatrick

Rocks

Post by Amy Fitzpatrick »

Hi Glass Workers

I am working with bullseye tetka and melting it over rocks (small). The rocks do not stick to the glass when slumped, but make a nice impression. I was wondering what type of clear glue can be used to attach the rock to the glass? I am working small, biggest rock is 5 inches wide by 1/2 or less inches high. (and smaller).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Amy in Alaska
dee

Re: Rocks

Post by dee »

Amy Fitzpatrick wrote:Hi Glass Workers

I am working with bullseye tetka and melting it over rocks (small). The rocks do not stick to the glass when slumped, but make a nice impression. I was wondering what type of clear glue can be used to attach the rock to the glass? I am working small, biggest rock is 5 inches wide by 1/2 or less inches high. (and smaller).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Amy in Alaska
amy, since it's clear glass, try a uv glue and set it out in the sun to cure the adhesive. tyiolyse or dymax would be the 2 i would test....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
S.TImmerman

Re: Rocks

Post by S.TImmerman »

When using rocks, make sure you don't use "soft" rocks such as sandstone, limestone and pumice as they can absorb water and blow up at higher temps. Working with outward bound for several years it was commonplace to teach about "hard"rocks when making fire pits.
St