My first big break! But not the good kind. What happened?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mary Lou

Re: My first big break! But not the good kind. What happened

Post by Mary Lou »

Brandie, When I first started working in kilnformed glass, I would use schedules provided by other sources, figuring if it worked for them it should work for me, yada, yada, yada. But one caveat most of the more successful artists gave was that schedule worked for them in their kiln. As my experience grew so did my understanding of my own kiln's operation. Plus how different glasses, processes and colours need specific consideration when developing a schedule. I only realized a little while ago I still had much to learn, when an instructor asked rather explicit questions about thermal shock temp ranges, devitrification temp ranges (I had mostly guessed at these) See the Bullseye Tech Notes for answers. The efficiency of your schedule (mine weren't all that efficient) and understanding viscosity are also helpful things to know. I also learned how important is the regular maintenance of your kiln. Some things I was doing right, others I wasn't doing at all. The condition of your kiln does not remain static and an efficient kiln works best. If a schedule you've been using for some time for the same operation successfully seems not to be doing so now, it could be the condition of the kiln.
That the 2cents from someone still learning. Mary Lou
p.s. If this sounds like a lecture it' not meant to be, just my own experience.
Studiodunn

Re: My first big break! But not the good kind. What happened

Post by Studiodunn »

Those are excellent points to chew on Mary Lou...Thank you! We all connect the dots in our own unique ways over time. Don't we? I'm definitely still getting to know my new kiln, BUT I've come a LONG way since my first little microwave kiln. LOL And I have some Gawd awful blobs to show for it...lol The key is growth through trial and error. If you are not messing up along the way, it means you aren't trying ;)
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King