new shop/studio

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rick Wilton

new shop/studio

Post by Rick Wilton »

So I've moved my studio from my home into a commercial space, which is great.

The only problem is that all of my schedules are shot because I have three phase power and now my kilns can't fire as fast as they used to.

I only have 208V at the elements not the typical household 220/240 I wouldn't have thought it would make much of a difference but I've had to add time and lower temps for every schedule. This is a real pain in the butt and I've wrecked a lot of glass figuring it all out. Three kilns that all had slightly different schedules before anyway.

Well, I've got 6 time more space than I had before so I can struggle though it.

VENT OVER
Rick Wilton
bob proulx

Re: new shop/studio

Post by bob proulx »

Sorry Rick, I hope the new learning curve wont take to long. Pictures of the new shop would be nice.
Bob
Dairy Queen

Post by Dairy Queen »

What brand are your kilns?
Love and luck make a wonderful lifestyle.
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

:cry: :-k [-o< Oh if anyone has the patience , you do Rick. Perhaps something completely new will come out of all the new experiments! :D I look soooo forward to seeing your new studio . I myself am waiting patiently for 4 new blades to experiment with to somehow speed up the sawing process AND am praying the weather holds as I have to saw OUTSIDE as I am still in my home studio and no cold shop. 8-[
Leslie
Give out Free Hugs!
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Les, patience and I aren't all that familiar with each other :wink: . Aren't you coming to Calgary here right away to teach a class? You are welcome to bring your blades here and try them out on my saw.

The kilns are "Warmglass.com forum" brand in other words I built them myself with knowledge I have garnered here over the last 10 years or so.
They are plenty powerful enough for likely anyone else, It's just that I fire 10mm - 12mm glass from room temp to 1540 in under an hour most of the time. Now my kilns are 10-20 underpowered so they can't achieve the same temps in the same amount of time. Not really a major problem just have to relearn all the schedules.
Rick Wilton
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Yes, at the end of October. Have some wonderful artists in the class and can hardly waite to share with them. My only worry is the noise from the sawing process so I might have to moon light to saw up the bars. :-k . The class is at PASSION FOR GLASS and I look forward to it very much.
Leslie (p.s. will let you know which blade I like the best for which thickness. As I spend hours and hours infront of the saw, I want to somehow find a blade that will go through 3 inch thick glass alittle quicker. ) (and our great Canadian winter is coming ! so outside will be cold) 8-[
Give out Free Hugs!
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

You are more than welcome to do any required cutting here if that helps. Make all the noise and mess you'd like. Anna was asking me my opinions regarding saws, she was going to come by and see my saw and set-up. Good luck with the class.
Rick Wilton