wire saw or band saw

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Beau Lyons

wire saw or band saw

Post by Beau Lyons »

I am new to this forum,
I wish to cut glass to curved shapes prior to fusing.
Which concept is best, wire or bandsaw(diamond) taurus or gryphon )
any suggestions, Beau
Lynn g

Re: wire saw or band saw

Post by Lynn g »

Lots in the archives about this; Taurus is the answer for curves, IMO.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Glass Fever

Post by Glass Fever »

IMO Skip anything Gryphon, they're cheaper for a reason. I bought one trying to save money, wound up buying the Taurus later anyway.
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

Lynn g wrote:Lots in the archives about this; Taurus is the answer for curves, IMO.
The more recent posts (2007/2008 to 2012) were lost in the upgrade.
dee

Post by dee »

the taurus 3 is a great machine. the standard blade works well for cutting either 3mm or 2mm sheet into shapes prior to fusing. if you need to cut thicker pieces after firing layers together the speed blade is best.
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

I'm a relative newbie to glass craft.........quickly addicted, and quite surprised by the amount of 'investment' I've already made in tools and supplies. I noticed in a recent catalog that one retailer is currently offering the Taurus III for $379 but also has the Taurus II kit for $149. Bearing in mind my status as a newbie, and desire to control costs, but also consider quality and longevity of equipment, any advice from the knowledgeable folks on this forum?

Specifically, I'd love to know if anyone is aware of performance differences between the two models? Any reason that the III is a better value than the II? Also, I understand that the Taurus II is no longer being produced - should I assume that parts will not be interchangeable and that repairs and maintenance could be problematic with the Taurus II? Any other considerations? TIA

Tracy
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Tracy Fries wrote:I'm a relative newbie to glass craft.........quickly addicted, and quite surprised by the amount of 'investment' I've already made in tools and supplies. I noticed in a recent catalog that one retailer is currently offering the Taurus III for $379 but also has the Taurus II kit for $149. Bearing in mind my status as a newbie, and desire to control costs, but also consider quality and longevity of equipment, any advice from the knowledgeable folks on this forum?

Specifically, I'd love to know if anyone is aware of performance differences between the two models? Any reason that the III is a better value than the II? Also, I understand that the Taurus II is no longer being produced - should I assume that parts will not be interchangeable and that repairs and maintenance could be problematic with the Taurus II? Any other considerations? TIA
Gemini stopped making the Taurus 2 in March 2010, so if a retailer has a new one on the shelf it's been sitting for at least two years. The 2 is noticeably noisier than the 3 and the wear parts (grommets and bearings) tend to wear out faster on the 2 than the 3. The 3 also has a larger working surface and throat than the 2.

Make sure that the retailer is selling the Taurus 2 and not the Taurus 2 accessory kit, which sold for around $150 and did not include the saw, only some attachments.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Doh! You are correct.........it is simply an accessory kit. That makes for an easy decision. Thanks!