Custom decals

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Studiodunn

Custom decals

Post by Studiodunn »

I just found this interesting website http://www.inplainsightart.com/files/decals-info.html for ordering customized waterslide decals for glass and wonder if anyone has had experience working with these folks. Does the pricing look reasonable or have you found other more cost effective sources you would recommend? They offer a 10 by 15.5 in. sheet for appoximately $40 plus $5 handling fee.

I have some wonderful photos I took this past summer and am hopeful to explore how I can incorporate them into some glass tiles. Also, for Christmas I would like to explore taking family photos and fusing the imagery on glass for gifts.

Thank you!

Brandie
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
JestersBaubles

Re: Custom decals

Post by JestersBaubles »

Get a copy of Jody Danner Walker's book about printing techniques on glass. One of the techniques in the book would work better than decals, IMO. If you are wanting to do pieces of any size, I think the decals might be problematic (cracking, stretching, bubbling...). All that said, I've only used small decals on jewelry, which worked out fine.

Dana W.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

Great idea Dana. I'll check out that book...I have had a lot of fun working small as well with jewelry decals, and thought it would be cool to try something larger.
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
tonyroberts

Post by tonyroberts »

I used a fair number of decals for an exhibition three years back. I had them printed in the UK, for about $10 for an A3 sheet. They were not as good as I intended, but OK: no stretching, cracking, or distortion at all, but the images were not vibrant - they looked cool and grey. I thought I may have over-cooked them at 850C...? But used them anyway.

Inkjet printed decals for ceramics work well too.

Tony
dpowers

Post by dpowers »

I have used decals from Inplainsite Art. Most of my work is now sand cast, so I purchased the decals to see how far I could push them. I plan on using them as inclusions in my larger sand castings. So far I have fired some of them 4 times with no clear cap and the color held up perfectly. The color of the decals match the images I sent them. The next slot I get I plan to ladle glass from the furnace at 2300 degrees over a capped and uncapped image to see how they hold up.

Their customer service is also incredible.
Babette (Shawn)

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

I have contacted Amy at inplainsite Art about these decals. I have an idea to use these decals but they cannot be printed with the color white. I plan to make decals of some flying Snow Geese, so I need white. :-k I am thinking of adding some paint to the back of the decal to get the white for the body of the bird. I need to fire up to full fuse...what is the best paint to use that also holds up when fired up to 1500F ?
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Babette (Shawn) wrote:I have contacted Amy at inplainsite Art about these decals. I have an idea to use these decals but they cannot be printed with the color white. I plan to make decals of some flying Snow Geese, so I need white. :-k I am thinking of adding some paint to the back of the decal to get the white for the body of the bird. I need to fire up to full fuse...what is the best paint to use that also holds up when fired up to 1500F ?
Ceramic onglaze colors are designed for 1500ºF Ferro Sunshine series has a good white. You want a decal keyed to a temperature range, compatibility is not an issue. There is no reason a ceramic decal could not have white in it. If you had to underpaint the white, you would have to prefire it. White is the most opaque color.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions