jooltool - has anyone tried it for polishing glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

seachange

jooltool - has anyone tried it for polishing glass?

Post by seachange »

A customer at a show recently was telling me enthusiastically about her new acquisition, a Jooltool. She is a silversmith, told me that polishing jobs that before took her a long time to accomplish, now are done in 30 minutes.

Looked at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOLV7jY64KM, polishing a cabochon. I am surprised at the tiny amount of water used with the diamond trizac discs.

Has anyone had the chance to test it, or see it in action?

I did search the board, but nothing turned up.

Only curious at present, have just spent too much money in glass :wink:

thanks and best wishes, seachange
JestersBaubles

Re: jooltool - has anyone tried it for polishing glass?

Post by JestersBaubles »

Many metal clay artists use the jooltool for polishing, and some of those incorporate fused glass into their work. If you don't get an answer here you might want to join one of the metal clay lists and ask there (for instance, there is a metal clay artist group on yahoogroups).

Dana W.
seachange

Post by seachange »

Thanks Dana, will check it out...haven't even looked at the prices for the unit and the consumables as yet. Will have to before I get too enthusiastic.

Best wishes, seachange
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

I purchased one of these units in June. Yes, it can be used for small, jewelry sized glass. I've used it to smooth the edges of my orbs and (hopefully) reduce the wear and tear on my wrists and arms. It does keep cooler with very little water (just a dab inbetween swipes). It is nice to be able to actually see the areas being worked over while grinding, the open design of the grinding disc enables this. I haven't tried using it to a high shine yet, I've only done a fine matt finish. Also, it is a very quiet machine and can be fitted with a whole variety of attachments. I purchased a set of metal polishing wheels that have worked beautifully finishing soldered brass, gold-filled, and sterling metals as well as smoothing the ends of earring wire. All that being said, it is an incredibly versatile machine with multi-purpose functions.

DOLORES
seachange

Post by seachange »

Hi Dolores

Many thanks for your detailed reply. Your work is of such high standard, I know that if you like it, it is worthwhile having. I have a 6" inland flat lap. The size is good for jewelry, but changing the disks through all the grits for just a few pieces is time consuming. And one is certainly working blind, with the part to be ground down against the disk.

We are now in the beginning of the season, I'll keep the details in my calendar for next autumn, when I have the time (and hopefully the cash kitty refilled, if the season is successful) to look into new equipment.

Best wishes, seachange