Surprise crack

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bert Weiss

Re: Surprise crack

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bonnie Rubinstein wrote:I started with the base being single thick, then added on layers, so it became DT..except in a few areas.

I have had luck with the DT to start with, and if it were not for the weight, I would have used DT for this as well. But then I would have added more glass, making it very thick, and for this fixture, I wanted it to be a little lighter. I think I should have added enough glass to make the whole piece DT, consistently.

.. and Bert, if you have a good source for hollow core bits that LAST, please inform..
thanks!
I like Amazing Glazing line of bits from CR Laurence. I have bought some cheap Chinese bits, but they turned out to be nearly useless to me because they were too short for my tripod drill setup. The AG bits cost a little more and last a lot longer, than their EDD series.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

If the crack is where it will not be seen maybe you could drill small holes at the ends of the crack to stop them form spreading. I still would not sell it but it may buy you time to show it.
Bob
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

if you hang it in your kitchen like you suggested, you may be awaken some night by a huge crash :shock: :shock: :oops:
"The Glassman"