Opaque paint markers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sherry R

Opaque paint markers

Post by Sherry R »

If I use an opaque paint marker on glass, should I leave it or would I have to fire it to make it permanent? I have Glassline paint markers but they make a mess on what I am working on and they sometimes come out in blobs.
haleybach

Re: Opaque paint markers

Post by haleybach »

It will scratch off if not fired on, but not all paint markers can hold up to being heated.
There are ones made for glass that you 'fire' in your oven at 350 or250?? Never used them.

There is a silver that can go up to slump temps, maybe higher but I have not gone higher so can't say for sure. The gold one turns blue and bubbles, which is very pretty, I think. I think the brand is Pilot. Never tried any of their colors.
Sherry R

Post by Sherry R »

I'm going to use black and the white ones are sold in fused glass outlets. I've used the white to mark where I want to cut glass and it wll not come off.
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I have used Pilot silver marker in full fuse. It tends to turn black or dark grey.
-lauri