Papyros fiber paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pat K.

Papyros fiber paper

Post by Pat K. »

Hi everyone and Happy Thanksgiving,

Has anyone used the Papyros fiber paper. Pros/Cons?? I use Bullseye thinfire all the time, and buy it in the 200 20.5 x20.5 sheet pack. I like the idea of the Papyros as it comes in a studio roll or a craft roll - within my budget. I just can't buy the Bullseye roll even though it would probably last me for years. I wish it came in smaller rolls.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Brock

Re: Papyros fiber paper

Post by Brock »

Alexis Dinno

Post by Alexis Dinno »

Pat K. wrote:I wish it came in smaller rolls.
It does. I have bought one in the local Bullseye store. Get on the phone to Bullseye.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

tried Papros.....don't like it............too much texture
"The Glassman"
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Pat K. wrote:I use Bullseye thinfire all the time, and buy it in the 200 20.5 x20.5 sheet pack. I like the idea of the Papyros as it comes in a studio roll or a craft roll - within my budget. I just can't buy the Bullseye roll even though it would probably last me for years. I wish it came in smaller rolls.
I'm not sure what you mean by smaller rolls. Bullseye thinfire comes in a small roll that is 10 feet by 41 inches. The small Papyros "studio roll" is 33 feet by 41 inches.
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Several years ago I bought a few rolls of "thin fire" like paper from a company that someone here on the board recommended and had posted the URL for.
I can no longer find their link on my computer or by doing a WGBB search. If anyone knows of this company and their site, could you please post the link.

This paper was not the greatest for firing at a full fuse but it worked well for my low and slow process.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Doug Randall wrote:Several years ago I bought a few rolls of "thin fire" like paper from a company that someone here on the board recommended and had posted the URL for.
I can no longer find their link on my computer or by doing a WGBB search. If anyone knows of this company and their site, could you please post the link.

This paper was not the greatest for firing at a full fuse but it worked well for my low and slow process.
Doug, it may have been this:

http://www.techniglassstore.com/cat-kiln-liner.cfm

I used it for a while and had some strange problems. Just trashed 50 sheets a couple of weeks ago....
Lynn Perry
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Thats the one. Thanks for the link Lynn
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Thanks everyone - I really didn't check the archives. I didn't even think about them. I also didn't realize that the Bullseye came in the 10' x 41" roll either. I had only seen it in the big roll that costs 900+ which, of course, I can't/won't purchase at one time. I appreciate your not taking me to task for my oversight.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Geo

Post by Geo »

I recently bought a few sheets of Papyros from Delphi Glass http://www.delphiglass.com/fusing-suppl ... aper-sheet

I prefer to use kiln wash, but will occasionally use thin fire. I was drawn to the claim that this paper can be reused, but after firing something at full-fuse temperature, it pretty much fell apart where I touched it. Also, I agree that it leaves too much texture.

I'd suggest if anyone wants to give it a try, to buy a sheet first. There are some good reviews of this out there (beyond the one on Delphi), so apparently other folks have different experiences. I'm glad I didn't invest more money into this for my personal use.