Screen printing TPI Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Buttercup

Re: Screen printing TPI Question

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks again, Barry and Bert. I've left a message with Ferro in Oz and hope to hear from them. That would be the most convenient if they have what I need here.

I think I'll order A-14 so I'll have an idea how anything I might in future cook up as a substitute compares to the 'real thing'. I have lots of on-glaze enamels (same maturing temps) in tiny vials that came with a kiln I bought, as well as some others I bought, and am thinking of dumping several vials of the colours I'll probably never use into one container and mixing them with gum arabic and A-14, when I get it. That should give me an idea of the consistency needed to screenprint onto glass. The colour will probably be a dirty greenish/brownish/grey which will be fine for experimenting. Eliminating one variable at the outset will probably save my sanity. When I know how the medium should behave I can experiment using all the good advice I've been given.

Will I need flux?

If anyone sees a problem with this approach I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks again for all the help. Jen
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Should work fine Jen,

You do not need flux for your approach.

Barry
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks, Barry
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I never used A-14, but I suspect that it has a binder included.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

A discussion currently on another board made me remember this one. While I've got the information on hand: Reusche D1368 medium is a propylene/cellulose product they sell for hand painting. It is water-clean up. They send a little bottle with their sample kits, and I tried it for screen printing and it worked, but a 1oz test isn't very conclusive. The cellulose in the product isn't exactly CMC, according to the MSDS, rather its 'Cellulose Ethyl Hydroxyethyl Ether'. Style points count plenty these days: I think it is much cooler to declare that you only use CEHE in your paint, rather than CMC, and then when prompted, lay the 'Cellulose Ethyl Hydroxyethyl Ether' term on them. Some painters I respect very much use this D1368 when they want an open medium. I thought I'd post the info here because people are looking for glycol based media.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Oh dear, Don. Too many words of more than one syllable but have copied it to keep with the rest of the good info I've received through this thread. Thank you, Jen