spanning the shelf joints

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sandpiper

spanning the shelf joints

Post by Sandpiper »

My kiln uses three pieces to make up the kin shelf. Of course, I need to make something bigger than one of the sections.
Can I cover the shelves, spanning the joints with a thick (1/8") shelf paper, put thinfire on top of that and solve the problem, or am I going to see the joints in my end product? Any solutions? By the way, I want to use the thinfire for the glossy bottom surface.

Thanks,

Sandpiper, alias Robin
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: spanning the shelf joints

Post by Brad Walker »

Sandpiper wrote:My kiln uses three pieces to make up the kin shelf. Of course, I need to make something bigger than one of the sections.
Can I cover the shelves, spanning the joints with a thick (1/8") shelf paper, put thinfire on top of that and solve the problem, or am I going to see the joints in my end product? Any solutions? By the way, I want to use the thinfire for the glossy bottom surface.
Fiber paper will work fine, with or without thinfire on top.
Sandpiper

Post by Sandpiper »

Thank you sir. Didn't want to waste the glass, the paper, the electric, or the time.

Sandpiper, alias Robin