Rectify dog boned coasters as too thin

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

KateB.

Rectify dog boned coasters as too thin

Post by KateB. »

Hi
I had a case of more haste less speed yesterday and as a result mucked up when I do know better.

I made some coasters and now have 2 issues

1. One set I put slightly too close to each other in the kiln and they fired together. Help!

2. Knowing my glass was only 5mm think I still put it on a full fuse and now I have not great looking dogboned coasters. Help.

Any ideas on how I can swiftly rectify?

Cheers

Kate
Stephen Richard

Re: Rectify dog boned coasters as too thin

Post by Stephen Richard »

1. score and break apart the fused together coasters. Cold work the edges or refire.
2. cold work or cut off the prominent portions and have slightly smaller coasters. Again cold work or re-fire.
3. you didn't ask for long term solutions, but one is to use them as elements in another project.
4. you also didn't ask, but you can fire slower and lower and achieve the look you want without going to the "full fuse" temperature as another longer term solution.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
KateB.

Post by KateB. »

They are Xmas presents which is why the speedy rectification and trying to keep original size. Also why I am really cross with myself.
Jodi Longobardo

Post by Jodi Longobardo »

You could try cutting the first set apart with your glass cutter or a saw, then grind all the edges to make sure they are square and any bleed from one to another is gone. The coasters might get slightly smaller but they can be salvaged. I have done this successfully with jewelry pieces that fused together accidentally. The second set all I can think is to fuse again to a piece of thin clear, but not sure if that will correct the dog boning or not--it might just be dog boned with a clear outline then.

--jodi
Stephen Richard

The second set all I can think is to fuse again to a piece of thin clear, but not sure if that will correct the dog boning or not--it might just be dog boned with a clear outline then.

--jodi

yep!
Steve Richard
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

KateB. wrote:They are Xmas presents which is why the speedy rectification and trying to keep original size. Also why I am really cross with myself.
Well...you still got 10 days to make new ones.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

You'd spend a lot less time and energy making new ones, and they'd be the way you intended, rather than trying to salvage pieces that may not live up to your standards.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

What temp. do you call full fuse??
"The Glassman"
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Start fresh, you will never undogbone the ones that are short of making them smaller.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Stephen Richard

DonMcClennen wrote:What temp. do you call full fuse??
Don as you know Bullseye quote it as 804C for 10 mins. This of course varies from kiln to kiln.
By going as slowly as 100C/hr from the bubble squeeze temperature, you can often achieve the look you want 20C or more lower than usual.
Steve Richard
dee

Post by dee »

i can do a full fuse of 2 layers 3mm for coasters at 1400 deg for i think 10 min - log book is down in the studio - and it works for any color. one layer is clear, usually tekta, one layer is color. since i do a 2nd firing to slump over a fiber paper circle to create an impression, if there are any issues requiring minor grinding/hand sanding, the finished look is good after the slump. i tend to have a few minor issues with those coasters in certain areas of the kiln...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

Stephen Richard wrote:
DonMcClennen wrote:What temp. do you call full fuse??
Don as you know Bullseye quote it as 804C for 10 mins. This of course varies from kiln to kiln.
By going as slowly as 100C/hr from the bubble squeeze temperature, you can often achieve the look you want 20C or more lower than usual.
Don's probably sussing out a preprogrammed kiln- I can hear him preparing the admonitory lecture now....
KateB.

Post by KateB. »

Hi all

Thanks for all your responses it seems I sparked a bit of debate. I did manage to separate the coasters that had stuck together, grind them and re fire and they were as good as new.

The dog boned ones hubby decided that they actually looked quite funky as it was only slight and I could cause more damage by titivating so I have left them.

Full fuse in my kiln is 800 and I leave it for 15 mins.

Many thanks

Kate