Light box for display

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

theanimallover

Light box for display

Post by theanimallover »

Hi,

I was thinking of buying a light box (or a few even) to display glass bowls, plates and suncatchers at fairs.

I see over in the US there are plenty of options for displaying glass, but here in the UK I can't find much.

Has anyone used the cheapish lightboxes to display their work? have you any pictures?

Another thing I thought of for smaller pieces (suncatchers) was to make sort of 'washing line' to peg them on to, but that will need a lot of weighing down. I think a light box much capture the colour of the glass better...

Thanks,
Karen
Buttercup

Re: Light box for display

Post by Buttercup »

Sorry, Karen, can't help with your question but just thought I'd let you know I'd been speed-reading your name for years as: 'the animal all over'. Duh! :P
theanimallover

Post by theanimallover »

that's really funny, I never would have noticed that!

I did think some people would think that I was boasting about my bedroom antics "animal lover", but it actually means "animal lover" (fond of all things furry) :D
theanimallover

Post by theanimallover »

I'd like to add to my own post... Not just furry...all creatures :D
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

That's a relief. my feathers were quite ruffled! Jen
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Have you thought about making your own? All you need is a box, frosted white glass or frosted white plexiglass and several florescent tubes. Or if you know someone that is handy with working with tools and wood, it wouldn't take much to make one and then sanding and staining or painting it the color you wanted. It would be cheaper (depending on what wood costs over there) and you could make it the size you wanted for your display.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Does LED lighting throw enough light to light up a light box? They're more compact than tube florescents. Compact florescents are available too.LED's might be a better alternative as there would be little or no heat generated and venting wouldn't be an issue? Just curious. Craft departments sell boxes ready for decorating I believe.Depending on the size you need could you remove the hinges holding on the lid and attach a piece of white plexi with double-sided tape. Or, for a tidier look, glue some small stops to the plexi as guides to seating the top accurately on the box. Alternately, put the current partner on eBay and look for a wood-worker. :D Jen
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I've purchased those little wooden boxes with the hole and a Christmas lightbulb or little LED, and mostly I've found it's not worth the bother; they don't put out enough light to really illuminate the glass on top. I've made my own with more powerful LED bulbs, but the box has to be bigger to accommodate it.

(Oh, and I thought It was anime all over and you really liked Japanese animation...)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
theanimallover

Post by theanimallover »

Buttercup wrote:Alternately, put the current partner on eBay and look for a wood-worker. :D Jen
Good idea, but he does pay the rent :wink:

I could have a go at making one, but woodwork isn't my strong point.

I have seen some affordable (I wouldn't say cheap) lightboxes advertised for example this one designed for kids: http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Pr ... 6ee1599cf3

I would really like to test one out first though.

K