Advice on tile saws

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lizartglass

Advice on tile saws

Post by lizartglass »

Hi Everyone,

I have been researching tile saws (which I know very little about) for some time now. My research has led me to two saws---the MK-100 and the Gemini Apollo ring saw. I'm to the point that I really don't know which one to purchase. My main goal for the saw is the slice pattern bars. I'd like to have a saw that can slice thinly as well as thickly. If anyone could provide some advice, I'd be very appreciative.

Happy Holidays,
Liz
Liz
jim burchett

Re: Advice on tile saws

Post by jim burchett »

I would get the MK or a comparable 10" circular saw with the best blade you can afford.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I've used an MK and really like it. It one of the next things on my list (I currently have a crappy little swap top. Got it VERY cheap with all the swap options, so I went for it. Figure it will be great when/if my grinder dies).

Dana
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I have an MK and it's a great work horse. You can use the blade that comes with it but when it's time for a new one I would do what Jim said and get a good glass blade.
Bob
dee

Post by dee »

the one thing you have to watch for on the tile saws is being able to set the table 100% true to the blade. i am still fighting this issue on my mk 101 pro. the gemini saw should not have this problem from the look of it...

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Havi

Post by Havi »

I do not know the MK at all, never saw it, never experienced it.
However,
I have the Gmini Revolution - which is a bigger version of the Apollo. And I saw the Aplollo at work, in one of my recent workshops.
It is a good machine, has all the benefiets of the revolution, but is half the price, and a bit smaller - which means it needs less space. Had I not had the Revolution - I would have bought the Apollo.

Also, I wanted the saw for straight cutting only, but once I have it - I find myself using it for cutting circles too.... Perhaps you want to consider this option too.

Good luck

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com