Flat bed grinder

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

Flat bed grinder

Post by Havi »

A while ago, I asked about my flat bed grinder that stopped working . The major advice I got was that it had to do with the diaphragm.
Thanks for that.

However, today someone came and cleaned the tube which ditributes the water for the grinder. We found out that it was full of 'stones' probabley hardened glass powder.

My question is - is it possible to soften the water, that it will not make these stones? Should I put something in the water, or use distilled water?

Any trick for that?

Thanks in advance,
Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Tom Fuhrman

Re: Flat bed grinder

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

clean out tube and blow it out on a regular basis. mine clogs up all the time, every week I blow it out.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thanks,

Your grinder works probabley much more than mine :wink:
However, I understand there is nothing I can add to the water. Vinegar perhaps??

Thanks,
Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
jolly

Post by jolly »

A large surface area filter should do the trick or at least reduce the number of times you need to clean it. You need to catch pretty small particles so you will need small holes so you will need a larger filter so you don't slow the amount of water pumping. There are some foam filters they use for gas in cars that might work. Just take it off and rinse it (let the water fall to the ground, not your sink) every once in a while to keep the filter clean. If you need more filter, connect a few of them together in line.
You can also put the intake of the pump above the grit if you can and let the grit fall to the bottom of the tube. This will probably only work if you set up a series of buckets so the grit has time to settle out. If you do a lot of grinding on this machine, it will probably be worth your time to make a gravity filter. They sell them to pottery artists so they don't plug up their sinks but you can make one yourself, I saw a site showing how to make one, a couple of years ago.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi