Pacemaker and kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Eleanor Brownridge

Pacemaker and kiln

Post by Eleanor Brownridge »

I've just had a pacemaker implanted and am wondering about the magnetic fields around my kilns. My husband can detect fields going on and off using a compass. Does anyone else with a pacemaker use larger kilns on a regular basis.
TurtleCreek Art Glass in Nottawa, Ontario
JestersBaubles

Re: Pacemaker and kiln

Post by JestersBaubles »

I'm curious to know if you have tested your household oven (not a microwave, just a regular oven). Seems like a kiln would be similar to other household appliances (oven, dryer, toaster, etc). Even your cell phone puts out a magnetic field.

This link from the American Heart Assoc. says that microwaves won't even affect pacemakers: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... rticle.jsp

Dana
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I wear an insulin pump, which is subject to high magnetic fields. Which means I can have an x-ray or work around my kilns, but have to remove it for an MRI. I'm sure your kiln won't be a problem but best to find out from your pacemaker manufacturer.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The pacemaker is a completely different technology than an insulin pump as it uses a high gauss ring magnet to open the circuit allowing it to be programmed and reprogrammed. An insulin pump's motor might be affected by a strong magnetic field, but it wouldn't likely be a fatal attraction.

I would check with your physician and ask if there is a problem if you are in the vicinity (>1 ft away at all times) of electromechanical power relays that use an electromagnet to trip the relay. I suspect that any knowledgeable physician will agree that it's not a problem and say to stay away from MRI's and playing with necklaces made from high strength magnets, but you should ask to be sure.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Eleanor Brownridge

Post by Eleanor Brownridge »

Tony,
Thanks for the technical info. It will help when I call the pacemaker manufacturer to ask questions. Although it is easy to stay a foot away from the kiln most times, I am wondering about combing. My kilns are Canadian and therefore wired to shut off the minute you open the switch. But that's just above the box with the relays ... where the electromagnetic field is strongest and where I open the kiln to comb.

If this turns out to be a problem I guess I'll give up combing ... of have my husband help at those times.
Eleanor
TurtleCreek Art Glass in Nottawa, Ontario
jolly

Post by jolly »

You need to check with your doctor but when you turn off the kiln is when you would have the most disruptive event I would guess. When the kiln is turned on or off is when the magnetic field is created or destroyed and the magnetic waves pass through the area in a big way. When it is on, the magnetic waves (ac current) is pulsing 50 or 60 times a second. With a magnetic disc or some other magnetic storage device, it is the disruptive wave of the magnetic field being created or collapsing that wipes information from the disc.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

jolly wrote:You need to check with your doctor but when you turn off the kiln is when you would have the most disruptive event I would guess. When the kiln is turned on or off is when the magnetic field is created or destroyed and the magnetic waves pass through the area in a big way. When it is on, the magnetic waves (ac current) is pulsing 50 or 60 times a second. With a magnetic disc or some other magnetic storage device, it is the disruptive wave of the magnetic field being created or collapsing that wipes information from the disc.
Or... when the relays kick on and off :mrgreen:

(though I don't suspect the field from a kiln will affect a pacemaker).

Dana W.