Car wax and glass rags

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jane Morgan

Car wax and glass rags

Post by Jane Morgan »

By mistake some car wax polishing cloths were included in the laundry load of glass rags that I did recently. :shock: I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I've seen some devit on pieces and I'm using the same glass, the same kilns and all I can think is that the rags are "contaminated" with wax. :-k My inclination is to toss out all my rags and get fresh ones, but I wonder if I shouldn't rewash them and include a healthy dose of bleach. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What would you do? And, do you prefer using shop towels or paper towels and skip using rags at all?
Thanks much,
Jane
Jane Morgan
Laurie Spray

Re: Car wax and glass rags

Post by Laurie Spray »

Why take the chance? Wash them in Hot!
I spent $3.00 at goodwill recently and bought a bunch of old t mens tshirts and cut them up. They have turned out to be my favoite rags. They have been washed so many times in their life that there is no lint at all.......clean beautifully! I gather all my studio rags off the tables every day and throw them in with laundry......always a clean rag available!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Real (old fashioned) baby Diapers are far and away the best.

The ones that Gerber sells through Walmart etc work fine, but the really old ones (like when I was a baby) are the best.

If you look at what the guys who sell glass blanks to the award industry sell, you will see that they are Gerber baby diapers.

When you wash; a bit of bleach, then a rinse with nothing. When you dry, no dryer sheets etc. They have silicones, waxes etc in them.

Guy
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

GuyKass wrote:Real (old fashioned) baby Diapers are far and away the best.

The ones that Gerber sells through Walmart etc work fine, but the really old ones (like when I was a baby) are the best.

If you look at what the guys who sell glass blanks to the award industry sell, you will see that they are Gerber baby diapers.

When you wash; a bit of bleach, then a rinse with nothing. When you dry, no dryer sheets etc. They have silicones, waxes etc in them.

Guy
Hi Guy, where do you find these old diapers.
Bob
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

I scour thrift stores and garage sales every chance I get.

They are getting pretty hard to come by at this point.

The really weird part is that a fair amount of the ones I have here are from when me and my siblings were little kids (we're in our 50's).
Jane Morgan

Post by Jane Morgan »

Thanks everyone! I'm not going to chance it and will toss them. It's time for me to get rid of some of my old t-shirts and I'll keep an eye out for those good diapers!
(I'm trying a borax mix on the pieces to see if I can salvage them.)
Jane
Jane Morgan
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

In Australia, we have a hardware supermarket called Bunnings.

I'm sure big hardware stores similar to this exist in all major cities of the world.

Anyway they sell a product called "bag of rags". Its a big clear plastic bag full of cut up soft white rags for $5. One bag lasts for months.

The bag of rags is available in the paint section and it's also available in the cleaning section.
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I use a product called "Rag on a Roll" which is a large roll of papertowel material impregnated with nylon webbing, they are fairly durable, absorbent and lint free, also disposable. Diapers and old T shirts also make it into the studio.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Jane Morgan

Post by Jane Morgan »

Thanks! My rags were mostly old t-shirts and dish towels, easy to replace. :D
Jane Morgan