Melting stringers?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

daffodildeb

Melting stringers?

Post by daffodildeb »

I can't for the life of me melt 1 and 2mm BE stringers. I've heard you can use a candle--didn't work. I have a Hothead torch, but I suspect that's overkill to say the least.

All I want is little squigglies! Ideas?

:-k
Deb
Diane

Post by Diane »

I just hold them IN a candle flame and they start to soften very quickly. It seems to only heat up a small section so you need to work your way down the stringer, bending and twisting as you go. It takes some practice but fun to do.
Good Luck, Diane
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Thanks--I'll give it a try--no soot?
Deb
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

Yes, you'll get soot: that's the disadvantage of using a candle. A regular propane torch is a lot cleaner: just hold the stringer above the flame to keep it from melting too quickly.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I use the gas flame of my kitchen hob to work stringer. I even bend rod that way, a bit.
Candles are fine but very sooty - the gas flame is soot free.
I am assuming gas cookers are not just a European thing...
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

daffodildeb,
I also usually use a tea ight candle, Yes I do get soot. the soot will burn off during your fire. I do this with dichroic stringers all of the time and haven't had a problem yet.

you can also go to the hardware store and buy a small plumbing torch if you dont want to invest into a lamp working torch.
vblue

Post by vblue »

Any candle will do. I find that the tea candles work better. You have to hold the stringer in the flame for about 4-5 seconds, apply gentle pressure and the stringer will bend. I've also bent noodles.
Sometimes using the pointy tweezers help in bending shapes.
You do get soot but it does burn off.
I couldn't get the image thingy to work, but click on the link below and see photo.

Vernelle

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL29/4003 ... 822492.jpg
Goldfinger

Melting Stringers

Post by Goldfinger »

If you want a clean flame- do a Google search on "Alcohol Burners". This should lead you to a labratory supply website. They are relatively inexpensive. It's been so long since I've used one I can't recall what type of alcohol I used. You might be able to get by with the common rubbing alcohol you find in the drugstore. Check with your supplier.

Steve
Gordon Exon

Alcohol lamps

Post by Gordon Exon »

jewellers supply sometimes have them. The alcohol is methyl hydrate and I've found the best way to get it in small quantities is to do to the gas station and buy a small bottle of gas line anti freeze, same stuff
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

I use a bic lighter. If the flame goes, it can get really hot trying to restrike the lighter, but it works like a charm.
JJ

Post by JJ »

I use an oil candle- you know the kind that you fill with 99% liquid wax paraffin. I don't get any soot on the stringers by using this and holding just slightly above the flame-twisting and turning as it melts. You can get some tight squiggles if you start to turn just as it starts to bend.
JJ in NC
Diane Trepanier

Post by Diane Trepanier »

Another option to consider is a small butane micro torch. I picked one up at Costco (I have seen them in hardware stores, etc.) for $20. Uses butane lighter fluid and will run for about 1 -1 1/2 hrs depending on how you adjust the flame. Will sit on it's on stand. Fast, easy, quick!
Diane Trepanier
Solfyre
Designer, glass, wire, beads, etc.
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Thanks, all! I've been practicing with a candle, and getting what I want, except for the soot. I'll try my gas stove (it may be the only way it will redeem itself because I hate cooking with gas!), or perhaps an oil candle. I have both.
Deb
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Deb I just fire the stringers on top of a piece, soot and all. The soot has never left a trace for me.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Diane

Post by Diane »

I just fire the stringers on top of a piece, soot and all. The soot has never left a trace for me.
ME TOO
Squiggle n' go
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

The soot rinses off under running water then you don't get it all over your fingers.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX