New mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Barry Gitelson

New mold

Post by Barry Gitelson »

I just got a new double curve mold from Bullseye and they recommended heating it to harden it
before the first use. Never did this with any of my other molds and was wondering if the should
be the norm.
Barry Gitelson
Kona, HI

"Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" Hotel California - The Eagles

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Bob

Re: New mold

Post by Bob »

Hi Barry,

I've bought a lot of moulds through Bullseye and some have come with the recommendation to prefire it and some have not . It seems like the simple shape smaller moulds didn't have the recommendation ( I did buy them a long time ago) but the larger more complex shapes have come with the recommendation to prefire. I would play it safe and do the prefire.

Cheers,

Bob
Barry Gitelson

Post by Barry Gitelson »

Aloha Bob,

Thanks for the advice. Appreciated. I always prefer to play it safe with tools.

Barry
Barry Gitelson
Kona, HI

"Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" Hotel California - The Eagles

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Bob wrote:Hi Barry,

I've bought a lot of moulds through Bullseye and some have come with the recommendation to prefire it and some have not . It seems like the simple shape smaller moulds didn't have the recommendation ( I did buy them a long time ago) but the larger more complex shapes have come with the recommendation to prefire. I would play it safe and do the prefire.

Cheers,

Bob
The latest sheet I got with my Bullseye molds says anything over 30 cm needs to be prefired.

Dana W.