Viewing windows in kilns

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

HEIDI in Wa. state

Viewing windows in kilns

Post by HEIDI in Wa. state »

I was wondering, are the viewing windows worth the extra money you pay for them? Anyone out there have one-feedback would be appreciated.
http://www.skutt.com/glass/accessories/window.php
Thanks,
HEIDI
StaceyG

Re: Viewing windows in kilns

Post by StaceyG »

I just purchased a new kiln and asked the shop owner the same thing. He said no. Why do you need one? You can just open the kiln to check on glass. he also said they can let air escape, even if ever so slightly.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

I don't think they're worth it. They tend not to be placed where you can really use them and they also tend to fog up over time. Besides, as Stacey mentions, you can just open the kiln lid if you need to steal a peek.

(If they're properly installed they don't let air out; in fact,the space between the lid and the body of the kiln lets out far more.)
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I like mine (in my Skutt) but it was already installed so I don't know what it added to cost. It's my largest kiln so I like having the window option.
On my smaller kilns, I just open the lids.
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I look through mine all the time. Today I was trying to tack fuse some pieces that I needed to keep theire shape, after reaching the target temp I kept an eye on things and skipped the rest of the segment when I was satisfied. Brad is correct the area viewed in the kiln is not that great but if I can keep an eye on what is going on in the center of the kiln I can judge what my results will be.
Bob
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

When I use mine I get a lovely view of the centermost kilnbrick in the back and not much else, so it's pretty much useless.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

All three of my kilns have view windows. Personally, I would not want a kiln without one. I like being able to peek in without opening the kiln.

While you can't see every inch of the kiln, all of my windows are placed so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on inside.

Dana W.
vblue

Post by vblue »

I love the viewing window of my Evenheat kiln. I have kiln posts under the shelf so that it raised enough that I can see the pieces firing. Saves losing heat by raising the lid.

Vernelle
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

All of my kilns have windows except for the 6" fiber one. One kiln also has a bead door, too. I don't have any problems with air leakage or poor heating. The windows are great provided I place work where I can see it. I don't like opening a 1400 degree kiln and breathing whatever is venting plus disturbing the heat distribution when I can just peek through the window instead. The windows aren't perfect, but they are fairly cheap compared to the cost of the kiln and the loss of a firing due to peeking too long with the lid open.
Lynn Perry