New Thin Fire

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tom suter

New Thin Fire

Post by tom suter »

I know there has been a lot of chatter about the pros and cons of thin fire. I have used it will good results, but have been just firing on the shelf and getting great results. I just got an email from BE that they now have a new version of this product that is suppose to take care of the shrinking problem. It now has a smooth and a rough surface. It still is good for only one firing. Thought I would just pass this info on to anyone that might be interested in it. :lol: Tom
Riverviewglass

Post by Riverviewglass »

Tom -
thanks for sharing this info - I love the thin fire and will be looking forward to giving the new thin fire a try.
Kim K 8)
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Tom....can you expand on the thin-fire shrinking problem and BE's response?

A fellow glass artist, who buys thin-fire by the roll, and I were just recently discussing this subject.

Thanks
tom suter

New thin fire

Post by tom suter »

I do not work for BE. All I know is I got an email from them stating that they have this newer version of the product out. I am just a customer of BE. But I am sure seeing how there are a few people who work for BE that are on line in this forum from time to time have to know of all the bad rap they get from time to time on thin fire. Its one of these products where some love it and others find more problems created by it use. I use it from time to time and I make sure that I tack it down with glass pieces to secure it. Have not had any problems myself. But I have got a lot better preping my shelf and fire a lot slower between 100-1280 range that I don't get bubbbles and have a real nice smooth finish on the back side. I was just sharing what I had not seen posted yet. BE is a very customer orientated business from my experience, that it is best just to talk to them directly. Tom :P
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I like it for anything smaller than 100mm square, use kiln posts to secure the edges so's it doesn't do it's curl-over thing.

Anything bigger and the thinfire shrinks and splits; leaving the underside smooth where it was on the thinfire and a step to where it rested on the (kiln-washed) shelf.

I've reverted to BE pink shelf primer but if the new thinfire was strong enough I'd use that.

Reason being it saves time priming the shelf then waiting for it to cool and dry.

Paul
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Joseph Tracy

thinfire

Post by Joseph Tracy »

Is the new stuff (thinfire improved) on the shelf yet because I tried to get some (old or new)a week ago and couldn't? Has anyone used the new? Does anyone else sell this or a truly comparable smooth surface product ? I want to get some soon( 2 weeks ago).
Cynthia

Re: thinfire

Post by Cynthia »

Joseph Tracy wrote:Is the new stuff (thinfire improved) on the shelf yet because I tried to get some (old or new)a week ago and couldn't? Has anyone used the new? Does anyone else sell this or a truly comparable smooth surface product ? I want to get some soon( 2 weeks ago).
This is purely speculation on my part, but I just picked up the last roll of Thinfire that my distributor had in stock and according to them, they were getting in a newer version of the product, but didn't know when. I assume that the old stuff is out there but that they are trying to replace with the new...again...pureley speculation.

There's a post on the classified from Clark Art Glass about a paper that is supposed to be superior to Thinfire. They are selling in minimums of 100 sq. ft. (24" wide rolls) quantities for I believe .50 or .75 cents a sq. ft.

She sent me some samples to test. The thin paper appears to be like a very thin version of most fiber papers. A rough surface on one side and a smoother surface on the other. Supposedly there are no binders to burn off...She gives the info on the classifieds site. You Might want to check it out.

I haven't tried it out yet but will in the next week or two.

Marty posted about a paper product he uses and pays a little less. But I don't know what it is. Check it out.

I would like to eliminate the shrinking problem. Otherwise Thinfire is fine by me. So if BE has a paper that doesn't shrink, and I can get it for about the same price I was paying wholesale for the old stuff...Fine by me.
Joanna

ThinFire

Post by Joanna »

Hello,

The new and improved ThinFire has very minimal shrinkage and our preliminary test results show it is suitable for fusing large panels. Tearing due to shrinkage seems to have been eliminated. Customers who have tried the improved product have reported back success with large projects and overall satisfaction with the changes.

Upon firing, ThinFire disintegrates to a dusty tissue. Avoid breathing residue dust and wear a respirator (NIOSH approved for dusts) during disposal. Clean shelves with a HEPA vacuum.

Pricing and sheet/roll sizes available remain the same.

Please contact me directly to receive entire specifications.

Joanna Tower
joannatower@bullseye-glass.com
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Please can you suggest a UK supplier stocking the new thinfire, Joanna?

I reverted to BE shelf primer but it takes time to prepare a shelf.

I prefer using thinfire because I can mark out the design on the thinfire and lay out the pre-cut elements accurately, then cap with the sheet of clear.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!