Drying Wood in Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

glass-lady

Drying Wood in Kiln

Post by glass-lady »

Know this is a completely weird subject but I'm taking a sculpture class and had to find a short wood log for a project. My 12" long, maybe 8 " wide log is pretty wet. Is it possible to use my Paragon Janus at about 200 degrees to dry this out. Figure I have to leave the lid on the top notch to let out the moisture, and also keep my range hood on the adjacent wall running to draw the moisture from the room. Does this seem feasible? Plan to put the log in the middle of the kiln on some kiln furniture.
AndyT

Re: Drying Wood in Kiln

Post by AndyT »

You'll have to leave it in there a long, long time. Even in warm weather a wet log can take months to fully dry out. I used to chop wood for a living.
glass-lady

Post by glass-lady »

Darn it! I paid $4.00 for this piece of wood before thinking about how wet it was. It probably didn't help soaking it in a water and bleach mixture to make sure all the bugs were dead. May have to rethink my project.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Also, be careful of rust unless you've got something like a ventilation system which removes the escaping water vapor from the room. I dry out glass casting molds in my kiln, and it is amazing how much water wet things contain. The vapor gets into your elements, element pins, controller...and in my case garage door springs, tools on a wall about 12 feet away, and the electrical.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
glass-lady

Post by glass-lady »

Thank you both so much. This log will wait out the next six months before becoming something else. Had found some kiln dried wood on craigslist, but when I showed the seller my project, he said he had the perfect piece for it and he was right. It is perfect; just can't be used! Will go back to craigslist and this time aim not so much for the perfect but something that can be used in the next week! Didn't even think about rusting my elements!!! People ask why take college sculpture when you work in glass and I want to say....duh, should have done this years ago.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

why cant you carve wet wood? r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Lauri Levanto

Annealing wood ?

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Once I watched a "chain saw artist" work.
He made quite intricate things.
His material was fresh spruce.

When wood dries, it tends to split.
His solution was to work in batches.
Between sessions he covered the wood with glue.

I compare it to annealing. Sealing the recently worked surface,
keeps the moisture level constant within the piece, so it contracts evenly. With glass we control the evaporation of heat, with wood evaporation of moisture.

Disclaimer: The learning curve may take longer than your class.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

huh. i watched a wood turning class at campbells folk school and it only used green wood. there was also a green wood chair making class. pretty cool stuff. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

rosanna gusler wrote:huh. there was also a green wood chair making class. pretty cool stuff. r.
I can't even imagine how te joints can be made in green wood. The different directions have so different contraction.
Kopperwood

Post by Kopperwood »

It is possible to do some things with green wood, but you have to know what is and is not possible. For instance, you can turn wooden bowls using green wood, BUT you do it in two passes. You rough turn first making very sure that you have a uniform thickness through out, or it will crack badly. Then you slowly dry the rough turn for some length of time and then finish turn.

The chairs are not completely green, but partially dry. Again uniform size is key. ISometimes you want different parts of a chair to be at different moisture contents. This allows the joints to tighten up as the wood shrinks as it dries. You also have to keep grain orientation in mind. Wood moves across the grain with moisture changes.

Perry
glass-lady

Post by glass-lady »

Thank you all. This class project is a form of book art. My idea was origin to actuality...start with the log, some kindling, large open book and wire armature attached to the log, and then other parts attached to the armature. An evolution of sorts. The teacher is helping us to understand that the material used is a secondary consideration to aspects of good sculpture, something I've been missing because to me..anything in glass transcends bad design.....now know it doesn't! Hoping a few semesters of sculpture and 3D design will translate into better 3D glass art. By the way, went to Home Depot and bought already kiln fired and seasoned wood!
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Kopperwood wrote:It is possible to do some things with green wood, but you have to know what is and is not possible. For instance, you can turn wooden bowls using green wood, BUT you do it in two passes. You rough turn first making very sure that you have a uniform thickness through out, or it will crack badly. Then you slowly dry the rough turn for some length of time and then finish turn.

The chairs are not completely green, but partially dry. Again uniform size is key. ISometimes you want different parts of a chair to be at different moisture contents. This allows the joints to tighten up as the wood shrinks as it dries. You also have to keep grain orientation in mind. Wood moves across the grain with moisture changes.

Perry
Perry, I love wood myself, and just wanted to mention that I really admire the way you're marrying gorgeous little boxes and glass...your work is lovely (and fun).
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Kopperwood

Post by Kopperwood »

Thanks, they are fun.

Perry