Kiln Formed Bracelet Sizing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JJ

Kiln Formed Bracelet Sizing

Post by JJ »

I am making some bracelets Jayne Persico style. I bought her video and it alludes to a chart for making several different sizes on the same bracelet mandrel. The bracelet kit I bought was second hand and did not include this chart. Is anyone willing to share this info???? Thanks for any help!
JJ in NC
sherry100

Post by sherry100 »

You can make the bracelets LARGER by wrapping fiber paper around the mold and securing it with a pin. You cannot make them smaller.
JJ

Post by JJ »

I know I can make them larger with fiber paper, but the chart is supposed to give more exact measurements regarding wrist size, number of layers, etc. I was trying to get this more specific info.
JJ in NC
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Well I'm still trying to get the right size blank to go around the mold, regardless of whose wrist it will fit.

Also, I find it really difficult to tuck the ends under without sending the form skittering across the kiln shelf (or worse, knocking the glass askew).

The bracelet molds I have are the ones from DiamondTech (Fireworks) and I initially tried to coat them with kilnwash (as a precaution against the fibre ripping). Couldn't get anything to stick. I've never had this happen with any other stainless product I've used. It's pretty thick steel, do I have to heat it longer? I took it up to 1000F and the steel turned nice and blue, but the wash just beaded up.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Wrap the mold with a piece of ceramic fiber, then measure around the mold. Subtract an inch and that is what you want your glass cut to. Add another layer and measure again. Subtract an inch.... do this for 1/32, 1/8 and 1/4" fiber paper (and all the combinations) and you'll get a chart that will get you started. You'll need to tweak the inch (plus or minus) to compensate for your glass thickness.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
JJ

Post by JJ »

thanks Tony! What have you found to be the best sizes? Lynne, I have never heard of kiln washing the bracelet mold- only using fiber paper. I've used thinfire with great success-just put wire around to hold it. If you use thicker fiber paper you need to put it on the mold and prefire to 1200F before slumping your bracelet.
JJ in NC
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

For the medium mold, the chart lists a 6" blank on thinfire, 6¼" blank on 1/32" fiber, 6½" blank on 1/8" fiber and 6¾" blank on 1/32" + 1/8" fiber. I find that these dimensions close up the opening too much, so I typically subtract 1/8" or 1/4" from the blank dimensions.

A 6" blank on the medium mold with 1/32" fiber is a really good fit for a lot of women.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
JJ

Post by JJ »

Thank you Tony. That's exactly what I wanted to know
JJ in NC
TracyM

Post by TracyM »

I scanned he first page of instructions.. I've lost the second page. :cry:

http://users.ntplx.net/~tracyct/bracelet.jpg
JJ

Post by JJ »

Thanks Tracy
JJ in NC