Recycle Fiber Paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Cann

Recycle Fiber Paper

Post by Nancy Cann »

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has tried paper making techniques on used fiber paper. I was trying to take the old burned out fiber paper and turn it into sheets of new paper that could be used in the kiln again.

For my first attempt I tried just using the old fibers and spinning them in a blender pressing them out on a deckle and it looked like a nice sheet of paper. When it dried though it just crumbled when you touched it.

So I think I need a binder of some sort. I'm hoping to find a binder that will leave the paper with some flexibility and not stiff as a board. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nancy
Bert Weiss

Re: Recycle Fiber Paper

Post by Bert Weiss »

The 2 things I would try are CMC and colloidal alumina. The CMC is easier to come by. The fibers are certainly re-usable. Gum arabic is the next thing that comes to mind. I know nothing about the flexibility of gum binders. Let us know what you learn.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

The only way I have re-used fiber paper is to put it in a blender. The pulp I use to strengthen plaster molds, like chopped glas fiber is recommneded.
-lauri
Nancy Cann

Post by Nancy Cann »

Thanks for the tips. I'm not familiar with colloidal alumina. What would you expect it to do?
Also, sadly I'm out of play time for this week so will have to come back to the project some time next week.

Nancy