Firing schedules

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Compton

Firing schedules

Post by Compton »

I'm unable to find a firing schedule for Bullseye glass for tack fusing and fire polishing. I'm given the max. temps to take kiln to, but don't know how long to leave at that temp. Can anyone answer these questions or direct me to a source?
The husband.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

All will depend upon your kiln, glass, rate of ramp up to process temp...

Use the temps given by the glass manufacturer as a guideline. Medium rare means 4 minutes per side in my broiler, but my pan might be closer to the flame than in your broiler...so you might need an extra minute per side in yours.

1300F should be a fire polish temp and 1400f a tack fuse. You take notes including detailed info about glass, location in kiln, ramp rates and temps and the like, then note what results you get. A black glass will soften and full fuse more rapidly and at lower temps than a white glass...so a schedule for a black glass will differ from one that is identical, but white.

Look at your glass while firing at these top temps and see what is happening. This way you learn your kiln, and the glasses you are firing.

Hope this is helpful
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

As Cynthia says, this will depend on your kiln and the glass you're using.

I use BE and have a reasonably large custom-built kiln with top elements and no side elements. In my kiln, I can get a tack fuse at 1400 with a 5 minute hold. The edges are sometimes a bit sharper than I'd like, so I usually do a tack fuse at 1425 for 2-5 minutes.

As for fire polishing, in my kiln 1325 for 20 minutes works pretty well.

Black fuses at a lower temp than white. Opals fire differently than transparents.

Experience will help you figure out what is the best schedule for your kiln.

Good luck!

Geri