New Studio Layout & Design

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Gilpin

New Studio Layout & Design

Post by Linda Gilpin »

Hello All - I think this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. I'm having a studio built and would like any advice on the layout and design to best utilize the space. Would love to see some pictures of some great studio layouts. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!
Nancy Juhasz

Re: New Studio Layout & Design

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi
In my other life when I had a really nice studio since I had a lot of open floor space and less wall space I purchased the metal shelves with the particle board shelves. The shelves were 2 feet deep and 4 feet long. I divided this into two parts. At the one end had one of the particle board at the bottom and another at the top and afixed a 2x4 in the front and one in the back 4 places along the 4 foot side so that I had slots to store sheet glass in. At the other end I had 2 shelves to store what ever I thought I would use all the time. Then I put a 4'x8'x3/4" piece of ply on the top so I had a nice big work area that I could reach from all sides. I had my assembly area, my wet area where my grinder and ring saw were and tons of surface for what every I needed it for. I also had a lot of room in the middle to store boxes of things that I didn't need very often like belts for my WBS, wine bottles after they were cleaned for slumping, and bin for scrap glass that was to big for my sorted boxes and to small for the end where I had my sheet glass. There was room to stack up plastic containers for small scrap. I didn't store my frit on this table I had two heavy duty office file cabinets that I stored stringers, frit, patterns, and my glass magazines and books. I also put some peg board on the wall for storing anything I could hang like chain, grinder bits, etc. I forgot to say this was in my basement. I just happened to have a shower there that I didn't use so I made it into my WBS area. I had water for the cooling and an enclosed area so I didn't get everything in the area wet, plus there was a drain in the floor it things got really wet. I didn't put the cooling water down that drain because of the grit from the belts and the ground glass. This went into a bucket but sat in the shower stall just incase it got knocked over. I didn't know how much I loved my studio until I moved and had to tuck things in the garage in plastic towers of drawers, etc.
Nanc