argh HELP WITH MOLD IDEAS

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

BIGGBILL wrote:
As to how they knew I used commercialy made molds I had to submit slides showing every phase of the design, production, firing and finishing of 5 items and them submit 5 different items to be juried.

Bill
Each medium (and each object) is unique in what constitutes the quality of craft. While I agree that it is better to make your own molds, using commercial molds does not NECESSARILY diminish the piece in my opinion.

In the case of slip-cast CERAMICS, I would be concerned that what appears to be thrown or handbuilt is, in fact, something quite different. Or, if the form is so distinct and identifiable as an item that could be purchased at your local decorate and fire emporium.

In KILNFORMED GLASS where the "dishness" or "bowlness" of the piece is secondary to the graphic, textural, or other qualities and simply adds the notion of function, I would not object to a commercial mold - provided it was a generic and conventional form.

If that's the case, all you really need to do now is document the making of the molds that correspond to the already existing pieces. Not, that I'm suggesting you do this, but if you wanted to, you could.

The reason for making your own molds, or at least designing them, is that it gives you more control over the form and encourages further development of your vision.

One more thing, Bill. Try not to think of it as a "year down the tubes". No doubt, you've learned some things about glass. I can't tell you how often some technique or design approach I tried and abandoned years ago reappears in my work quite without my conscious awareness.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

Most of the make-a-mold suggestions have been about ceramic molds. Nothing wrong with those, of course, but there are lots of other kinds.

If you actually are a fused glass crafts master, I'd assume you own, or studied, eith Brad's Contemporary Warm Glass book or one of the others. These give good instruction on mold making in general.

If you don't want to "do pot throwing, the two easiest routes are plaster-silica and metal. You can get a stainless steel sauce pan or skillet lid and pound it into a custom shape with a wood block and hammer. You can cast a mix of plaster and swimming pool filter diatomatious earth over a hand made plasticine shape.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Or soak fiber blanket in hardener and mold it over anything you like. Air dry, sand, fire, kiln wash and away you go.