Watlow 982: How do you program this darn thing?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

phiferc

Watlow 982: How do you program this darn thing?

Post by phiferc »

I was given a small kiln with a Watlow 982 controller. I read the manual...no, I TRIED to read the manual. Can anyone give me an example, entry-by-entry of what needs to be programmed in for a simple glass fusing type program? I think if I had an example, it might make more sense and I could then adapt it as needed. Thanks so much!

Cynthia
Bert Weiss

Re: Watlow 982: How do you program this darn thing?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Cynthia

I don't know this controller, but I do know controllers in general. There are 2 styles of programming. The one most people here have, is degrees per hour. I'll bet yours goes from setpoint (temperature) to setpoint, over a specified time. Then you have to figure out how to stop the program until it reaches your programmed setpoint. This is an alarm function.

Watlow has a very good tech help department. I have used that, as I use their relays. Go to their website and look up the phone number. I've found the people there quite helpful. Tell him that you want to program ramps and holds both up and down, including a drop to anneal range, that starts the clock when the setpoint is reached. Ask if your controller can be used with a computer interface. I believe their software comes at no cost, but you need to add a device that works as a port to connect the computer.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Hi-

If you have the manual (watlow981_982.pdf) which is available for download, chapter 7 is how to program. There is a specific example on page 9 (7.9), and runs from 7.9-7.11

If you need the file, email me and I can send it to you.

"Everyone" says that this is a pretty easy to program controller. I am with you, it isn't particularly intuitive.

Guy
phiferc

Post by phiferc »

Thanks Bert and Guy. Appreciate the guidance!