newbie-help!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bkrgrl@aol.com

newbie-help!

Post by bkrgrl@aol.com »

I am just starting out and have two questions for now. first, what are enamels(thompsons) are they like frit? do you fire them?
second-I just took a very basic intro course. My first and only piece is a 10 square plate. Black ribbed spectrum with scraps of pink, white and dichroic. great colors. and it turned out pretty good. But, there are raised bumps over all the scrap pieces. Instructor said she would fire 2 times-one to tac and one to slump. when I went to watch the firing process-she changed her mind and fired just once-shoud she have fused first, then slumped?Is that why the bumps? can I fix it-refire ? if so, How? I do not have the mold-it is hers. I have learned much more from this site-so, I am sure I will be back-I am really hooked and have enjoyed all the beautiful art glass on display-thanks bkrgrl3
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Welcome

Yes, the enamels are similar to frit and they are fired onto the glass.

Now for your piece and how it was fired. Your right in thinking it should be fused first and then slumped.

Typical fusing temperatures are several hundred degrees above what your glass will slump at. Since you don't have the mold the piece was made in just hold onto it until you gain a little more experience and then you might be able to fix it. It can be refired and slumped again.

The bumps under the fused pieces are bubbles trapped between layers of glass There are numerous firing techniques that are typically used to prevent bubble formation, some work better than others. Slow firing rates and long soak times are two things that help prevent bubbles.

Keep asking questions and reading all you can, you will make it. Fusing isn't all that difficult, but it isn't all that easy either.

Ron
Andrew

And they don't require a license to be a parent either

Post by Andrew »

Everything Ron said is on the mark but I would add one more thing -
Find another instructor.

Your instincts are right about what is going on with the glass, but a good instructor would have gone over what you did right and what went wrong.

I tell everyone this - Get Brad's book. It is the best investment you'll make.

Andy
bkrgrl@aol.com

thanks

Post by bkrgrl@aol.com »

Thank you Andy and Ron, I will do as you suggest, about the book and the instructor! I'll be back-bkrgrl