Wall art bracket hanging ?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

camaro

Wall art bracket hanging ?

Post by camaro »

Is there a way that a plate/ Bowl can be made to hang. If so after it is fused and then slumped how can I keep the right side shiny, while trying to fuse something on the back of the piece. If I use fiber paper won't that cause a roughness on the front? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
camar0 :?
Cynthia

Re: Wall art bracket hanging ?

Post by Cynthia »

camaro wrote:Is there a way that a plate/ Bowl can be made to hang.
There are acrylic easles that more or less disappear visually and they come with flat backs that can be drilled and mounted to a wall. For smaller pieces, 10" or less there are plate hangers that you can get at any craft store. They work alright with an opaque piece...but aren't very attractive. If you are firing and hanging a flat panel, use a french cleat. Search the archives for information about those. Lots and lots about cleats in the forum over the years.
... after it is fused and then slumped how can I keep the right side shiny, while trying to fuse something on the back of the piece. If I use fiber paper won't that cause a roughness on the front? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
camar0 :?
You'll have to fire it again if you want to shine it up. The side that ends up being on the shelf for the last firing will always be matte from the texture it was fired against. Refire the 'upside' to bring it back up to a polish...Can't think of any other way.
Dick Kolpack

Post by Dick Kolpack »

I have a plate/bowl mount (WM-01) on my site.

http://www.ironwoodmetal.com

See if that's what you have in mind, any size and thickness.

Dick