large sink slump

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

large sink slump

Post by slats »

Before making my first attempt to slump a 3/4 inch thick 18 inch diameter blank thru a drop ring....I feel the need for group support :oops: Okay, I set up six 1" square poles (furniture) to hold the drop ring. Will this hold the weight of the glass? or is there a better set-up for this large heavy blank. The poles are 9inches high because I want to get a deep drop. I will wait for all you professionals out there before firing because I would hate for all this glass to tble over in my kiln. :!: What would I do without all of you :wink: Thanks in advance........
Marty

Post by Marty »

Set it up, does it wobble? Is the kiln floor even? The ring level?
It should work.
slats

slump

Post by slats »

thanks marty............ill go for it.......
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Did you make your drop ring? If you purchased it where did you get it?
Thanks, Stephie
Stephie
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Doc

A 9" slump is asking for disaster. Keep it to 5" and enjoy success. The deeper you go, the bigger the chance it ill fall in.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Bert's exactly right. I go for a 4 1/2 to 5" drop. You'll keep the thickness at the lowest point at about 1/2". I wouldn't suggest anything thinner. If you set a kiln-washed shelf under the drop, you can stop the drop with a slight flat spot for drilling the hole. Also, as said before, check your setup with a level before firing. - Barbara
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
slats

sink

Post by slats »

much thanks :lol: Still wish that you (Bert or Barbara) would give a class out west.....