splash guards/surround

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AZ gram

splash guards/surround

Post by AZ gram »

Any ideas re. splash shields for tile saw & flat grinders???

I've searched the board but have not found any that address what I'm needing.
I have created a framework with pvc pipe and draped a shower curtain from it for my tile saw, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better solution.
Also, I now have a flat lap and need a splash surround for that.
I would love to just buy a three sided, free standing, folding guard that can be wiped down.

Ideas?????

Thanks,
Colleen
Jerrwel

Re: splash guards/surround

Post by Jerrwel »

AZ gram wrote:Any ideas re. splash shields for tile saw & flat grinders??? Ideas?????
Doesn't look great, but I use cardboard boxes; sometimes I set the box on edge and put the equipment into the box or I may flatten the box and set the cardboard behind the equipment like a room screen which doesn't interfere with lighting.
Jerry
Marty

Post by Marty »

corrugated plastic, get scraps from a sign painter.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

What Marty said works great. You can buy 2'x4' white cor. plastic at Home Depot...simply cut just half way thru and you can have a 3 sided shield that folds flat for storage.
"The Glassman"
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

It's busted now (thanks to unfortunate placement of a 50-lb bag of plaster), but I go to my local plastics place and pick up clear plastic cheap at their scrap bin. They sell an acrylic adhesive there that joins the edges to make the three-sided shield Don mentioned.

Don, I think when I make the new one I'll snitch your idea only do it with clear and hinges. (I like to see)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Marty

Post by Marty »

Cynthia- there's nothing to see here, go back to work.

The white plastic stays cleaner-looking longer than clear plastic with glass shmooo (tm) all over it, and no adhesive or hinges required.
Mike Griffin

Post by Mike Griffin »

Tile saws are so messy. I'm getting a new one with a blade for glass. I'm intending to do away with the bath of water below the table and plan to use a small fountain pump to dribble water where the cutting edge of the blade meets the glass. The blade should then push most of the water downwards hopefully to be caught by the now empty bath below.
Mike
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

AZ gram wrote:Any ideas re. splash shields for tile saw & flat grinders???

I've searched the board but have not found any that address what I'm needing.
I have created a framework with pvc pipe and draped a shower curtain from it for my tile saw, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better solution.
Also, I now have a flat lap and need a splash surround for that.
I would love to just buy a three sided, free standing, folding guard that can be wiped down.
I am using one of those tri-fold cardboard things used for cutting fabric. I cut out a notch in the back to allow for the power cord and water/drain lines.

Not great, but it was cheap :).

Dana W.