do I need to replace those falling pins

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mbmccann

do I need to replace those falling pins

Post by mbmccann »

After having a large glassglow kiln with no pins (and no problems by the way) I added a 14" firebox to my studio. Pins are falling like crazy. I have about 5 on the floor and one on a piece so far. Do I really need to replace them or can I just leave them out? No sagging elements yet.
Kevin Midgley

Re: do I need to replace those falling pins

Post by Kevin Midgley »

replace before using the kiln again.
once they've sagged it is too late.
Just do it.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

If the coils have already sagged, just use a small propane torch, like plumbers use for soldering copper pipe, to heat the element and then gently push it back into the lid before inserting the pins. Do not allow individual coils to overlap or you will create a hot spot which will shorten the life of the coil. Unfortunately,it is not unusual for pins to fall out over and over and over..... Sometimes people use kiln cement to secure the pins, but eventually you will have to replace the coil and you will tear pieces of the fire brick when you remove the cemented pins. Also, if you get cement on the coil as you are inserting the pin, you will most likely shorten the life of the coil by creating a hot spot.
Lynn Perry
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I got tired of the rainstorm of falling pins in my Paragon Fusion 10 years ago, so I cemented in the element. I've discovered that after a few years, the Pyrolite comes unstuck and just releases from the firebrick. It doesn't pull out chunks like I expected. Instead, I just gently crumble off the Pyrolite and apply more now and then. Yes, there's some on my elements, but it hasn't caused any problems (knock on wood!).
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Valerie Adams wrote:I got tired of the rainstorm of falling pins in my Paragon Fusion 10 years ago, so I cemented in the element. I've discovered that after a few years, the Pyrolite comes unstuck and just releases from the firebrick. It doesn't pull out chunks like I expected. Instead, I just gently crumble off the Pyrolite and apply more now and then. Yes, there's some on my elements, but it hasn't caused any problems (knock on wood!).
Thanks for the information, Valerie. I was always reluctant to use the cement. I have a new set of elements to install when the old ones finally die and I will cement the pins. Olympic sent me spare pins and cement with the new elements.
Lynn Perry
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

Thanks for all the answers.
OK. I'll put them back in.
I hate the pins. You never know when one is coming down. That is why I originally bought my Glassglow - no pins. But then I decided I needed a small kiln too, so I bought the Scutt 14 and the pins.
I think I am scared of the cementing but I'll keep it in mind for the future.
Thanks.