Gryphon Bandsaw

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PDXBarbara

Gryphon Bandsaw

Post by PDXBarbara »

Hi everyone...
I have a Gryphon bandsaw, circa 1992, on loan. It looks fine, good shape. Haven't been able keep the blade on the wheels, which are designed without gaskets. Have spent several hours adjusting the tension, per the instructions, but the blade pops off over & over. A friend suggested that perhaps the wheel itself isn't level, but I don't see how to adjust for that.

Anyone have one of these bandsaws? Enlightenment desired...

Thanks,
Barbara
Barbara Bader
glass1

Post by glass1 »

Give Gryphon a call. 818-890-7770 I'm sure they will give you a helping hand.
Diane
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

glass1 wrote:Give Gryphon a call. 818-890-7770 I'm sure they will give you a helping hand.
Diane
Duuuuh.... why didn't I think of that? Thanks, Diane.
Barbara
Barbara Bader
dblood

Post by dblood »

When I couldn't keep the blade on my Diamond bandsaw, it was because the wheels weren't tilted precisely right in relation to each other. It took quite a bit of fussing to get them just right so the blade would stay on. I'll bet your wheels can be tilted somehow.
Annah James

Post by Annah James »

A friend of mine has a Gryphon bandsaw and he had tons of problems with it for the longest time - to the pont that he was putting the blade on backwards (can you believe that??) - just to get the *^%$ thing to stay on. He finally called the company and they said that they had had problems with that model and offered to swap him for a newer one for a small upcharge. Maybe you have the same old model?? Good luck!

Annah

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." -George Carlin
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Thanks for your ideas, guys...
I spoke with Alan at Gryphon yesterday. This is model 350. It seems that the problem is the wheel adjustment. However, it may not be possible to fix it. Sometime this morning, the guy who designed the saw will call me to see what we can do, if anything.

Alan said that they'd upgrade to a newer model for $215 if the old saw is shipped back to them to throw away. However, this is not my saw... it was loaned to me by a friend.

Maybe the original designer will have some good ideas when he calls.

Best,
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Barbara:
I had the same problem a couple of years ago and the compahy shipped me a "new, improved" wheel. It worked fine after a little fiddling. Came with an extra washer that the old wheel did not have.

Good luck...hope it gets fixed.
Nikki
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Nikki O'Neill wrote:Barbara:
I had the same problem a couple of years ago and the compahy shipped me a "new, improved" wheel. It worked fine after a little fiddling. Came with an extra washer that the old wheel did not have.

Good luck...hope it gets fixed.
Nikki
Hi Nikki...
Was it a model 350 saw?

It's now about 2:30 pm & haven't heard back from Gryphon.
BB
Barbara Bader
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Sounds right; it was a Model C-something, about 8-10 years old. It was a newly released model when I got it. I'll check the number when I get home and let you know tomorrow.
Nikki
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Barbara: The Gryphon model that I have is the C-40. When I had a problem with the band slipping off, "Todd" at Gryphon suggested a couple of things: Check that the wire lies flat (place copper side down on a level surface). Jiggle the lower wheel front to back and make sure it is tight. Neither was the problem so he replaced the black wheel with a new gray one that has a bushing (not present in the black one). I like the saw but don't use it much anymore. It was great for cutting drapery and heavily textured glass for making lamps.
This info probably won't help if you don't have this model.

Nikki
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Nikki O'Neill wrote:
This info probably won't help if you don't have this model.

Nikki
EXACTLY! Allen called today: can't help me because they don't make any parts for the 350 anymore. Wish I knew how to get into it and add an O-ring or something.... I may try it... put on my Ron Coleman hat. (ha!)

Thanks for all comments & advice.

Barbara
Barbara Bader
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

We fusers should be issued mechanical engineering hats! A local glass blower friend has built furnaces, lathes, kilns, and now is building an entirely new studio of his own in Virginia. Tony, Ron, Bert, and no-longer-a hobbiest Jim are inspiring. Even Paul and his excel program for firings is an engineering function (thanks again..I love it). Seems the left side of the brain has no problem getting exercise.
Nikki
Gordon Exon

excel program for firings?

Post by Gordon Exon »

Who is Paul and is there a program available in excel for firings?
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Hi Gordon:
Paul Tarlow posted his program on the board sometime in the last year or so. It's a one-sheet printout of your firing schedule. He made up a template where you can enter your firing data and the time the firing is to be started, and the program computes the end times for each segment. There are places on the page to describe the project and add a photo. It's a great way to keep a neat record of your projects and their firing schedules. I really like it. A huge benefit is that you know exactly when to go check the kiln at a particular stage, reducing your time watching the pot waiting for the water to boil.
Nikki