Paper Mache / Papier Mache

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Eric Baker

Paper Mache / Papier Mache

Post by Eric Baker »

Okay, I think I know the answer here, but I wanted to make sure someone else hasn't had a bad experience, and ruined their kiln...

My toddler and I made a big (make that huge!) mountain and tunnel out of paper mache for his train set. We've got the first layers on, and they're taking days to dry. You can imagine how that is difficult for a toddler, whose idea of extreme-patience is having to wait until after nap time to play trains again.

It's large, so it's a big soggy mess, and I'd like to toss the mountain into the coffin-kiln over night and bake it at something like 150-175 deg. to speed up the drying between layers. Of course I'd vent the kiln. The glue is a simple paste of flour/water/small qty. of salt.

However, it's the salt in the mix that concerns me.

Can table salt, or for that matter, any organic burn-off in flour/water cause damage to my elements, or absorb into the brick, causing devit issues later for my glasswork?

Or am I just not getting enough sleep, and perhaps am growing more and more paranoid as I get older? :o) This kiln is like family...
Eric Baker

Re: Paper Mache / Papier Mache

Post by Eric Baker »

Oops,

this probably should have been posted in SPAB.

Sorry, Brad. Feel free to move...
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

I can't answer as to whether it could potentially harm your kiln, but why not do it in the oven?
Eric Baker

Post by Eric Baker »

Too big!!!

#-o
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

That much salt probably won't hurt anything, but keep the kiln vented so the steam escapes instead of staying inside. Watch out for going too fast, though--you might crack your tunnel.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Eric Baker

Post by Eric Baker »

Thanks, Cynthia.

Do you know what is happening to the elements when salts evaporate in a kiln?

I'm curious what chemically happens to the elements. I should've paid more attention in my high school chemistry class!
Judd

Post by Judd »

At such a low temp, I doubt much salt will escape in the environment. Mainly water vapor. I'd fire with the lid open.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Bring it over, we had low 80s and was abe try dry a rug in 30 min. Your tunnel would be peice of cake.. Tad salty tho'
Sheree
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Judd wrote:At such a low temp, I doubt much salt will escape in the environment. Mainly water vapor. I'd fire with the lid open.
I assume Judd does not mean "open" fully open...maybe just open 2" to 3" so volume can heat!
"The Glassman"
Judd

Post by Judd »

Yes Don. Leave the lid 2-3" open. Sorry for the slip.
Or, maybe you could use your kiln to heat your entire house.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

You know you shouldn't put a paper mache tunnel in your kiln. You just need someone to reinforce what you already know. Don't put it in your kiln.

Get an electric fan and point it at it. Get some Crystal Cat litter or some other dessicant. Find some Thomas videos on TV for the kid.