Boiled Glass Idea

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Saracen

Boiled Glass Idea

Post by Saracen »

I've not yet tried this so would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I'd like to make a 20cm x 20cm x 6mm deep tile (that's about 7 3/4" square and 1/4" deep). The volume of the glass is 240,000 cu.mm.(apologies for the metric), so if I put into my 20 x 20 mold a similar volume (5 sheets of 14cm x 11.5cm x 3mm) and fire as recommended for the boiled glass technique could I expect it to spread and produce the required tile, or do I need to change anything in the schedule? Thanks in advance.
Time flies like the wind, Fruit flies like pears
Marty

Re: Boiled Glass Idea

Post by Marty »

probably easier to figure by weight.
Eric Baker

Post by Eric Baker »

Hi Saracen,

I'm not very familiar with the 'boiled glass' technique, but are you placing a dam around the perimeter?

Posting your set-up and the firing schedule you intend to use may help gather some replies...

Best of luck!

warm regards,

Eric

p.s. Never apologize for the metric numbers. Maybe one day, America will not be so backwards as to use 1/32 and 1/64 of an inch. If I see more metric use in the states before I die, and I don't mean just 2-liter soda bottles, I'll die a happier man. Geez folks, if you've got a dollar bill in your pocket, you're using metric. Let's move on to easier measurements--the sooner the better!
tonyroberts

Post by tonyroberts »

Completely molten glass naturally flattens out to around 6mm. At the edge of your mould there will be very little spreading tendency, so you may get nicely rounded edges - however, the glass may not be very keen to move into the corners of your mould, so I'd give it plenty of time: say, soak 60 minutes at 840C.

200x200x6 = 240000
115x140x3x5 = 241500

Perfect!